Brighton to Roxford Double-Track Project
- SCH Number
- Lead Agency
- Los Angeles County Metropolitan Transportation Authority
- Document Title
- Brighton to Roxford Double-Track Project
- Document Type
- NOE - Notice of Exemption
- Document Description
- LA Metro, in conjunction with the Southern California Regional Rail Authority, has initiated the Brighton to Roxford Double-Track Project (proposed project) in the cities of Burbank, Los Angeles, and San Fernando and the communities of Sun Valley and Pacoima in Los Angeles County, California, on the LA Metro-owned Valley Subdivision, between MP 13.2 and MP 23. 72. The approximate project length is 10.5 miles with an approximately 1.2-mile existing double-track section that is not included in the project alignment from Control Point (CP) McGinley (MP 15.6) east of Penrose Street (MP 15.68) in Sun Valley to CP Sheldon (MP 17.0) west of Sheldon Street (MP 17.05) near Wicks Street. The proposed project would involve the double-tracking of approximately 9 miles of railroad track and related infrastructure, and associated safety improvements. The existing railway is part of the Valley Subdivision, upon which Metrolink operates its AVL commuter rail service, a 76.6-mile rail corridor between Los Angeles and Lancaster; the line is also used by Union Pacific Railroad to carry freight. The AVL was identified as needing infrastructure improvements to add operationall flexibility for eventual improved regional rail and mobility service and added capacity. In addition to double-tracking the mostly single-track line, the proposed project would enhance safety for the corridor communities and commuters on the AVL with safety-related improvements to roadways and sidewalks crossing the tracks, additional station platforms, construction of bridges, and new or extended drainage structure modifications.
- Contact Information
LA County Metropolitan Transportation Authority (Metro)
One Gateway Plaza
Los Angeles, CA 90012-2592
Phone : (213) 278-9485
- Burbank Los Angeles San Fernando
- Los Angeles
- Other Location Info
- The project is located along the Antelope Valley Metrolink Line (AVL) between MP 13.2 in Burbank and MP 23.72 in Los Angeles within Los Angeles County.
Notice of Exemption
- Exempt Status
- Statutory Exemption
- Type, Section or Code
- Article 18 Section 15275(a)
- Reasons for Exemption
- The proposed project qualifies for a statutory exemption from CEQA, as the project fits into the context of the exemption language and no other significant effects on the environment would result due to unusual circumstances. Statutory exemptions from CEQA are granted by the legislature. A statutory exemption from CEQA is provided under Section 21080 (b)(10) of the California Public Resources Code (PRC) (also found in State CEQA Guidelines, Article 18. Statutory Exemptions, Section 15275(b), Specified Mass Transit Projects). This statutory exemption applies to mass transit projects that involve the institution or increase of passenger or commuter service on rail lines already in use. This project proposes infrastructure improvements to add operational flexibility for eventual improved regional rail and mobility service, which will support increased capacity.
- Notice of Exemption
- 2020060005_Signed Notice of Exemption PDF 794 K
Disclaimer: The Governor’s Office of Planning and Research (OPR) accepts no responsibility for the content or accessibility of these documents. To obtain an attachment in a different format, please contact the lead agency at the contact information listed above. You may also contact the OPR via email at firstname.lastname@example.org or via phone at (916) 445-0613. For more information, please visit OPR’s Accessibility Site.