The applicant is requesting approval of two land use permits (County File #’s LP15-2030 and 2031) for the purposes of amending it reclamation plan and corresponding operations, which includes the following components:
• Reclamation over an anticipated period of 50 years to a post-mining land use of open space;
• Reduction of the surface mining disturbance footprint that leaves the east rim of the quarry intact, providing a visual buffer between the quarry and viewsheds to the east;
• Permanent overburden fill areas;
• Final grading contours reflecting a maximum depth of excavation at elevation 110 feet mean sea level with finish slope angles that achieve adequate factors of safety;
• A final drainage plan that provides for the quarry pit to slowly fill with stormwater following reclamation to form a quarry lake with a controlled outflow that conveys stormwater to natural drainage courses and human-made drainage facilities;
• Revegetation of the quarry east rim, overburden fill areas, and processing plant site to a combination of chaparral and grassland habitats that feature California native seed mixes;
• Elimination of requirements to backfill, grade, and compact the quarry floor and benches, given that the planned open space end use will provide for a future quarry lake;
• Clarification of pre-1976 (pre–California Surface Mining and Reclamation Act (SMARA)) disturbance areas, including any areas disturbed outside the boundaries of the 1983 Reclamation Plan; and
• Achievement of current State reclamation standards during reclamation.
In addition, and in response to stakeholder input, CEMEX has incorporated into the Revised Reclamation Plan a new screening berm (between the existing processing plant site and residential communities to the north) and an alternate driveway for accessing the site farther north along Mitchell Canyon Road.
Pine Hollow Middle, Mt. Diablo Elementary, Highlands Elementary
Mitchell Canyon Creek
Other Location Info
515 Mitchell Canyon Road, Clayton, CA 94517
Notice of Completion
Review Period Start
Review Period End
Mining (Amendment to reclamation plan of existing quarry operation.)(Diabase Mineral)
Aesthetic/VisualAir QualityBiological ResourcesDrainage/AbsorptionGeologic/SeismicGreenhouse Gas EmissionsMineralsNoiseSoil Erosion/Compaction/GradingTribal Cultural ResourcesVegetationWater QualityLand Use
California Air Resources BoardCalifornia Department of Fish and Wildlife, Bay Delta Region 3California Department of Parks and RecreationCalifornia Department of Resources Recycling and RecoveryCalifornia Department of Water ResourcesCalifornia Governor's Office of Emergency ServicesCalifornia Natural Resources AgencyCalifornia Regional Water Quality Control Board, San Francisco Bay Region 2California State Lands CommissionDepartment of Toxic Substances ControlOffice of Historic PreservationState Water Resources Control Board, Division of Water QualityCalifornia Native American Heritage CommissionCalifornia Department of ConservationCalifornia Department of Transportation, District 4
Disclaimer: The Governor’s Office of Planning and Research (OPR) accepts no responsibility for the content or accessibility of these documents.
To obtain an attachment in a different format, please contact the lead agency at the contact information listed above.
You may also contact the OPR via email at firstname.lastname@example.org or via phone at (916) 445-0613.
For more information, please visit OPR’s Accessibility Site.