Project Description: The proposed California State University, Monterey Bay (CSUMB) Master Plan (Project) provides the basis for the physical development of the campus through approximately 2035. Implementation of the Project would provide space and facility needs to support an on-campus enrollment of 12,700 full-time-equivalent students (FTES) and 1,776 FTE faculty and staff by the year 2035. The Master Plan proposes approximately 2.6 million gross square feet of net new building space; a projected increase of 3,820 student beds and 757 converted residential units for faculty and staff; and redevelopment and growth of outdoor athletics and recreation facilities to serve campus needs.
The proposed Master Plan includes Project Design Features that address open space, transportation, water and wastewater systems, energy systems and greenhouse gas reduction, and design. The Project also includes specific development components identified in the proposed Master Plan and expected to be constructed in the next 10 years; these are referred to throughout the EIR as “near-term development components.” These include Student Housing Phase III (600 student housing beds); Academic IV (95,000 GSF of classroom/instructional space); Student Recreation Center (70,000 GSF of recreation space); Student Housing Phase IIB (400 student housing beds); and Academic V (76,700 GSF of classroom/instructional space).
This Notice of Determination is to advise that the Board of Trustees of the California State University, as the lead agency, has approved the above-described Project on May 25, 2022, and has made the following determinations regarding the Project:
1. The Board of Trustees finds that the 2022 FEIR has been prepared in accordance with the requirements of the California Environmental Quality Act.
2. The FEIR addresses the proposed Master Plan revision and all discretionary actions related to the project as identified in the FEIR.
3. The Board of Trustees hereby certifies the FEIR for the California State University, Monterey Bay Master Plan revision dated May 2022.
4. Prior to the certification of the FEIR, the Board of Trustees reviewed and considered the above FEIR and found it to reflect the independent judgment of the Board of Trustees. The Board of Trustees hereby certifies the FEIR as complete and adequate and finds that it addresses all potentially significant environmental impacts of the project and fully complies with the requirements of CEQA. For purposes of CEQA and the State CEQA Guidelines, the administrative record includes the following:
a. The DEIR for the California State University, Monterey Bay Master Plan revision;
b. The FEIR, including comments received on the DEIR, responses to comments, and revisions to the FEIR in response to comments received;
c. The proceedings before the Board of Trustees relating to the proposed Master Plan revision, including testimony and documentary evidence introduced at such proceedings; and
d. All attachments, documents incorporated, and references made in the documents as specified in items (a) through (c) above.
5. This resolution is adopted pursuant to the requirements of section 21081 of the Cal. Public Resources Code and Section 15091 of the Cal. CEQA Guidelines which require the Board of Trustees to make findings prior to the approval of the project.
6. The Board of Trustees hereby adopts the CEQA Findings of Fact and Mitigation Monitoring and Reporting Program, including the mitigation measures identified therein for Agenda Item 4 of the May 24-25, 2022 meeting of the Committee on Campus Planning, Buildings and Grounds, which identifies the specific impacts of the proposed Master Plan revision and related mitigation measures, hereby incorporated by reference. The required mitigation measures shall be monitored and reported in accordance with the Mitigation Monitoring and Reporting Program, which meets the requirements of CEQA.
7. The Board of Trustees hereby adopts the Statement of Overriding Considerations stating that project benefits to the California State University outweigh the remaining significant and unavoidable noise impact.
8. The FEIR has identified one potentially significant impact that may result from implementation of the proposed Master Plan revision. However, the Board of Trustees, by adopting the Findings of Fact, finds that the inclusion of certain mitigation measures as a part of the project approval will reduce most, but not all, of these effects to less than significant levels. The operational noise impact at one off-campus location that is not reduced to a less than significant level is identified as significant and unavoidable and is overridden due to specific project benefits to the CSU identified in the Findings of Fact and Statement of Overriding Considerations.
9. The project will benefit The California State University.
10. The California State University, Monterey Bay Master Plan revision dated May 2022 is approved.
11. The chancellor or his designee is requested under Delegation of Authority granted by the Board of Trustees to file the Notice of Determination for the FEIR for the California State University, Monterey Bay Master Plan revision.
This is to certify that the Final Environmental Impact Report and supporting documentation are available to the General Public online at: https://csumb.edu/facilities/planning/.