Present Land Use
General Plan Land Use Designation: Low Density General Commercial or Medium Density Retail and High Density Multi-Family Residential. Present zoning is Commercial (C-3) and Residential Parking Zone (R-4-P) with a Commercial Retail Planned Development (C-R-PD) Overlay and Mixed Use Overlay and Multiple Residential (R-4).
The 9600 Wilshire Boulevard Specific Plan would facilitate the rehabilitation and adaptive reuse of the Saks Fifth Avenue Women’s Building, the retention of the existing commercial building at 9570 Wilshire for continued commercial use, and the development of new residential, retail, office, hospitality, social club, boutique hotel, open space, and related uses throughout the Specific Plan Area.
The Specific Plan Area would be divided into two Districts: a Wilshire Boulevard District fronting Wilshire Boulevard and a Neighborhood District to the south. The Specific Plan would permit a range of commercial and other compatible uses in the Wilshire Boulevard District, including retail, restaurant, boutique hotel, social club, and office uses, with the potential to convert a portion of the buildings to residential units in the future. The Specific Plan would permit a limited range of uses in the Neighborhood District, including multi-family residential and Small Shop/Boutique Retail uses, as well as publicly accessible open space. In overall compliance with the proposed Specific Plan, the Applicant is proposing a Conceptual Plan that includes:
• Rehabilitation in accordance with the Secretary of Interior’s Standards for the Treatment of Historic Properties, and adaptive reuse of the Saks Women’s Building with Retail, Spa, Restaurant, Boutique Hotel, Social Club, and Appurtenant Uses and the construction of a new attached seven-story building with Office and Restaurant uses. These two buildings would cumulatively contain 188,108 square feet (sf) of floor area (9600-9620 Wilshire Boulevard);
• The development of an 84.5-foot (six story), 73,614-sf building with Office and Restaurant uses on Parcel A (9588-9596 Wilshire Boulevard);
• The development of a six-story, approximately 115,905-sf, 30-unit multi-family residential building with Small Shop/Boutique Retail uses (128 South Peck Drive);
• The development of a six-story, approximately 116,304-sf, 38-unit multi-family residential building with Small Shop/Boutique Retail uses (133 South Peck Drive); and
• Four levels of subterranean parking beneath the Specific Plan Area, containing a total of 937 parking spaces.
Construction of the Project would commence in 2024 and would occur in nine phases, which would overlap in their duration. The overall duration of construction is estimated to be approximately 50 months, with 14 months of utility relocation and 36 months of construction.