Complete accessibility upgrades on the Peak
Trail in Fremont Peak State Park to bring the trail into compliance with California State Parks accessibility
guidelines and associated legal mandates. Work will:
At the Peak Trail Trailhead:
• Remove existing asphalt parking and replace with concrete,
• Install a concrete path of travel (stained and textured to blend with its surroundings) to link the parking
to a concrete landing in front of the existing Fremont Plaque;
• Reconfigure the area to accommodate a Peak Trail reroute to place the trailhead at the parking lot;
• Relocate/reconstruct the existing non-historic Fremont plaque and base; and
• Install fencing and barriers to keep unauthorized autos off the service road.
On the Peak Trail:
• Starting at a point above the existing parking lot, reroute 1,100 lineal feet (approx.) of trail;
• Surface with native soil and install a bench at the overlook at the terminus of the reroute;
• Obliterate and restore 250 lineal feet of existing trail to natural recontoured condition; and
• Construct two (2) new accessible picnic pads using compacted aggregate base surfacing and timber
In the Madrone Picnic Area, at three (3) picnic areas:
• Install accessible BBQs and Paths of travel;
• Use timber-edged, compacted base material to provide a firm and stable surface;
• Link existing paths of travel to compliant parking, water station and new picnic pads; and
• Install new trash receptacles and modify the existing water station to accessibility standards.
In the Madrone Day Use Area Parking and at the Restroom:
• Remove existing asphalt parking stall and replace with a concrete parking stall signed and striped to
current ADA standards;
• Remove the existing bathroom and salvage for use in another location in the park;
• Demolish the existing vault and install a new properly sized container; and
• Install a new ADA compliant 2-stall vault restroom; and
• Install a compliant, concrete path of travel between the new restroom and the parking lot.
At the Coulter Group Area:
• Construct two (2) accessible picnic tables with pads and install new trash receptacles.