Improve facilities at Mineral Bar Campground within Auburn State Recreation Area to accommodate increased visitation, improve recreational opportunities, and improve accessibility. Work will use heavy equipment and hand tools to complete the following improvements:
At the Campground Entrance:
• Level the ground and add approximately 20-30 cubic yards of fill and cover the fill slope with river rock backing;
• Pour a 24 foot by 20-foot concrete slab to install a prefabricated 14 foot by 10-foot kiosk;
• Excavate two (2) 4 foot deep by 2-foot-wide holes and move an existing gate southward towards Iowa Hill Road; and
• Remove one (1) Redbud tree.
In the Camp Sites:
• Excavate sixteen (16) 6-inch-wide by 12-inch-deep holes and install a pressure treated post in each hole to serve as permanent campsite markers.
For the Front Camp Loop:
• Grade and fill a 12-foot wide by 20-foot-long section of road to connect the front camp loop road to Iowa Hill Road to enable one-way traffic only;
• Relocate existing boulders; and
• Excavate two (2) 4 foot wide by 2-foot-deep holes and install a hanger post and strike post and install a new exit gate.
In the Day Use Area:
• Place up to four (4) new concrete picnic tables throughout the area.
At the Interpretive Center:
• Restripe to convert an existing parking space into an ADA parking spot; and
• Excavate twelve (12) 2 foot by 2-foot holes and install six (6) cement benches (2 holes for each bench).
Project will avoid the river corridor, riparian, adjacent montane woodland, and chaparral habitats. Project construction will be conducted outside of the nesting bird season and during favorable weather conditions.