The Project consists of an update to the Housing Element of the General Plan to meet the requirements of State law. The Housing Element is a State-mandated element of the General Plan. The City of Gardena must update its Housing Element every eight years. Updates to the Housing Element are to identify the community's housing needs; to state the community's goals and objectives with regard to housing production, rehabilitation, and conservation to meet those needs; and to define the policies and programs that the community will implement to achieve the stated goals and objectives.
In compliance with State Housing Element Law the City of Gardena has prepared the 2021-2029 Housing Element (Project) to:
- Provide, goals, policies, quantified objectives and scheduled programs to preserve, improve and develop housing
- Identify and analyze existing and projected housing needs for all economics segments of the community
- Identify adequate sites that are to be zoned and available to meet the City's fair share of regional housing
- Affirmatively furthering fair housing
- Be internally consistent with other parts of the General Plan