A request by Craig Stoller (Paris Valley Road Winery) for a Conditional Use Permit (DRC2020-00051) to allow the phased expansion and update to an existing 102,000-square-foot winery facility and visitor serving uses to include:
• A 2,447-square-foot restaurant (limited food facility) that includes the remodel of the existing 905-square-foot-kitchen, conversion of a 542-square-foot-tasting room to indoor seating, and new 1,000-square-foot outdoor seating area;
• Construction of a new 8,500-square-foot, two-story, eight-unit Bed & Breakfast and a 924-square-foot-pool;
• Construction of a new 7,300-square-foot winery building;
• Construction of a new 26,000-square-foot winery building;
• New covered outdoor work areas for wine production activities;
• Construction of a new 6,000-square-foot, two story office building;
• Interior remodel of the existing buildings to support existing and proposed uses; and
• Site improvements including grading and new landscaping to accommodate the reconfiguration of the existing visitor access locations and parking areas
• The project also includes a request to host up to 40-winery special events annually with a maximum of 300 guests. The applicant requests to participate in wine industry events as allowed by the Land Use Ordinance.
The applicant is requesting a modification to Section 22.30.570.E standard that limits a restaurant to 800 square feet to allow a 2,447-square-foot restaurant, a modification to Section 22.30.570.D standard to allow the restaurant to operate beyond the tasting room hours, to 9 p.m., 7 days per week, and a modification to Section 22.30.070.D.2.h.(3) to allow second tasting room for the distillery operation. Section 22.30.020.D allows a standard to be modified through a Conditional Use Permit if it can be proven to be unnecessary and the project meets all other development standards. The project will result in approximately 4.5 acres of site disturbance on a 59-acre parcel, including 14,605 cubic yards of cut and 7,000 cubic yards of fill. The proposed project is within the Agriculture land use category, located at 5625 Highway 46 East, adjacent to the City Paso Robles. The project site is in the El Pomar-Estrella Sub Area of the North County planning Area.