Base of Mountains Measuring Stations Project
- SCH Number
- Public Agency
- California Department of Fish and Wildlife, Inland Deserts Region 6 (CDFW)
- Document Title
- Base of Mountains Measuring Stations Project
- Document Type
- NOE - Notice of Exemption
- Document Description
- The California Department of Fish and Wildlife has executed Lake and Streambed Alteration Agreement number EPIMS-INY-14109-R6, pursuant to Section 1602 of the Fish and Game Code to the Los Angeles Department of Water and Power. The project is limited to installation of new rectangular compound weirs (hydrologic measuring devices) and instrument boxes that house data loggers at seven (7) of the locations identified above and repair/maintenance of existing weirs at two (2) of the locations identified above (Base of Mountain [BOM] stations). The new steel plated weirs will be approximately 4-feet high by 8-feet wide, will be placed in the creek channels, and will be anchored by wood boards, boulders and sandbags. Installation of the weirs will require digging and sediment removal within the bed and bank of the creeks. At each BOM station an instrument box connected to a perforated pipe or stilling well will be installed in the bank adjacent to the weir. Installation of the instrument box will require digging 1-foot by 2- foot deep hole using hand tools. Project activities at seven of the BOM station sites may require diverting flows around the work site. Riparian vegetation will be trimmed immediately adjacent to the Project sites (no trees will be removed) and along access routes. Equipment used to conduct Project activities includes: hand tools (shovels), single backhoe and/or crane (as needed to assist in weir and sandbag placement), fuel service trucks, utility trucks, pickup trucks, and Helicopters (may be used for delivering materials to Tuttle, Ash and Carroll Creek where site access is difficult).
- Contact Information
Department of Fish and Wildlife
3602 Inland Empire Blvd. Suite C-220
Ontario, CA 91764
Phone : (760) 567-0332
- Southern California
- Other Location Info
- The project is located at nine (9) tributaries to Owens Lake, in the County of Inyo, State of California. 1) Tuttle Creek: Latitude 36.55954, Longitude -118.17116; 2) Diaz Creek: Latitude 36.56445, Longitude - 118.11169; 3) North Fork Lubkin Creek: Latitude 36.53268, Longitude -118.13791; 4) Carroll Creek: Latitude 36.50616, Longitude -118.09828; 5) Cottonwood Creek: Latitude 36.43900, Longitud -118.17941; 6) Ash Creek: Latitude 36.38977, Longitude -118.04098; 7) Braley Creek: Latitude 36.3373, Longitude -118.03636; 8) Olancha Creek: Latitude 36.27421, Longitude -118.02898; 9) Walker Creek: Latitude 36.24565, Longitude -118.05360.
Notice of Exemption
- Exempt Status
- Categorical Exemption
- Type, Section or Code
- Class 6; California Code of Regulations, title 14, section 15306
- Reasons for Exemption
- The main purpose of the Project is to gather data that will be used to understand the hydrology adjacent to Owens Lake and to quantify stream channel recharge. The activities will not result in a serious or major disturbance to an environmental resource.
- County Clerk
- Notice of Exemption
- EPIMS-INY-14109-R6_NOE PDF 202 K
Disclaimer: The Governor’s Office of Planning and Research (OPR) accepts no responsibility for the content or accessibility of these documents. To obtain an attachment in a different format, please contact the lead agency at the contact information listed above. You may also contact the OPR via email at email@example.com or via phone at (916) 445-0613. For more information, please visit OPR’s Accessibility Site.