Calexico Lodge Shaded Fuel Break Project
- SCH Number
- Public Agency
- California Department of Forestry and Fire Protection (CAL FIRE)
- Document Title
- Calexico Lodge Shaded Fuel Break Project
- Document Type
- NOE - Notice of Exemption
- Document Description
- This project proposes construction of a shaded fuel break averaging 200 feet in width along the north side of the Calexico Lodge near the community of Boulevard. This shaded fuel break will be .6-mile-long and result in treatment of approximately 16 acres. Treatment will include reducing the existing fuel loading of mixed chaparral vegetation by approximately 80%. Native vegetation targeted for removal will include chamise, red shank, California buckwheat and Big Basin sage that commonly occur within the project area. Broadleaf species present within the project include manzanita, ceanothus, mountain mahogany, scrub oak and barberry. These broad leaf species will be retained to present a mosaic effect but may be thinned where necessary to obtain 80% reduction target. Grasses and forbs will be left untreated. There are mature Coastal Live Oaks in the area however no trees will be cut. Root structures will be left in place to reduce the potential for erosion. All work will be performed by CAL FIRE hand crews using hand tools and chain saws or CAL FIRE rubber tracked skid steer masticator. Treated vegetation will be either masticated or chipped on site with chips spread to a depth of three inches or less. The Calexico Lodge is a small enclave of 23 full and part time residences located on the east side of the unincorporated community of Boulevard situated just south of Interstate 8 on the east side of the Tecate Divide, south and is surrounded by rugged mountainous terrain adjacent to the Mexican border in southeastern San Diego County. Boulevard is an isolated community of widely spaced rural residences with a population of approximately 400.
- Contact Information
California Department of Forestry and Fire Protection
2249 Jamacha Road
El Cajon, CA 92019
Phone : (619) 933-6503
- San Diego
- Total Acres
- Other Location Info
- Portions of T17S, R7E, Sec 28 & 29,SBBM
- Other Information
- West of the unincorporated community of Boulevard and south of Interstate 8.
Notice of Exemption
- Exempt Status
- Categorical Exemption
- Type, Section or Code
- Class 4 § 15304 Minor Alterations to Land
- Reasons for Exemption
- The project is consistent with Categorical Exemption: 15304, Class 4 Minor Alteration to the Land. After completing an environmental analysis, the Department has determined this project will have no significant impact on the environment. This determination is based on field assessments, a CNDDB search, greenhouse gas emission calculations, and archaeological review completed by CAL FIRE Archaeological staff. Field review by CAL FIRE staff confirmed that no exceptions apply which would preclude the use of a Notice of Exemption for this project. The Department has concluded that no significant environmental impact would occur to aesthetics, agriculture and forestland/timberland, air quality, biological resources, cultural resources, energy, geology and soils, greenhouse gas emissions, hazards and hazardous materials, hydrology and water quality, land use planning, mineral resources, noise, population and housing, public services, recreation, transportation/traffic, utilities and service systems or to wildfire. Documentation of the environmental review completed by the Department is retained on file at CAL FIRE MVU Headquarters in El Cajon.
- Notice of Exemption
- NOE - Calexico Lodge Shaded FB signed PDF 122 K
Disclaimer: The Governor’s Office of Planning and Research (OPR) accepts no responsibility for the content or accessibility of these documents. To obtain an attachment in a different format, please contact the lead agency at the contact information listed above. You may also contact the OPR via email at firstname.lastname@example.org or via phone at (916) 445-0613. For more information, please visit OPR’s Accessibility Site.