Variance TWW-2021-HT-00077 to Allow the Transport and Accumulation of Treated Wood Waste under Alternate Procedures by Republic Services of Sonoma County Inc.
- SCH Number
- Public Agency
- Department of Toxic Substances Control
- Document Title
- Variance TWW-2021-HT-00077 to Allow the Transport and Accumulation of Treated Wood Waste under Alternate Procedures by Republic Services of Sonoma County Inc.
- Document Type
- NOE - Notice of Exemption
- Document Description
- Project Description: The Department of Toxic Substances Control (DTSC) has issued a variance to Republic Services of Sonoma County Inc. to Operations related to treated wood waste will be consistent with previous treated wood waste activities conducted by the applicant. The variance allows treated wood waste to be managed under procedures different from, but equally protective to human health and the environment to, the provisions of California Health and Safety Code (HSC) Articles 6, 6.5 and 9 of Chapter 6.5 and California Code of Regulations (CCR), Title 22, Division 4.5, Chapters 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 18, and/or 20. Under the terms and conditions of Variance TWW-2021-HT-00077, Republic Services of Sonoma County Inc. will ensure the treated wood waste will be appropriately managed. Background: Treated wood waste is a fully regulated California-only hazardous waste because it exhibits the hazardous waste characteristic of toxicity. From 2007 to December 31, 2020, treated wood waste was managed under alternative management standards, established in 22 CCR 67386. The legislation that authorized the alternative management standards for treated wood waste expired on December 31, 2020. Republic Services of Sonoma County Inc. is a Solid Waste Management. The applicant previously conducted treated wood waste management activities under the now expired alternative management standards established at 22 CCR 67386. Project Activities: Under the variance, the authorized handler may collect and accumulate treated wood waste from generators, transporters, or other handlers. Operations generally include loading and unloading operations. Accumulation of treated wood waste includes taking appropriate precautions to prevent unauthorized access to and prevent leaching to the environment of the treated wood waste. No transportation activities are authorized as a part of this variance. The variance will expire on September 1, 2021 with possibility of extension for an additional six months
- Contact Information
Department of Toxic Substances Control
1100 'I' Street
Sacramento, CA 95814
Phone : (916) 327-4041
- Healdsburg Petaluma Sonoma
- Other Location Info
- 33549 Annapolis Road, Annapolis, Ca 95412; 4376 Stage Gulch Road, Sonoma Ca, 95476; 166 Alexander Valley Road, Healdsburg Ca, 95448; 13450 Pocket Canyon Drive, Guerneville Ca, 95446; 500 Mecham Road, Petaluma, Ca 94952
Notice of Exemption
- Exempt Status
- Categorical Exemption
- Type, Section or Code
- Existing Facilities [CCR Title 14, Sec. 15301]
- Reasons for Exemption
- All analysis conducted included the potential extension of the variance for an additional six months. DTSC has determined none of the exceptions to the categorical exemptions apply to this project, as described in Public Resources Code Section 21084(c), (d), and (e), and 14 CCR Section 15300.2. Operations under the variance will be substantially the same as those as previously conducted under the alternative management standards established at 22 CCR 67386. This variance is consistent with a former use.
- Notice of Exemption
- NOE_TWW-2021-HT-00077_signed PDF 156 K
Disclaimer: The Governor’s Office of Planning and Research (OPR) accepts no responsibility for the content or accessibility of these documents. To obtain an attachment in a different format, please contact the lead agency at the contact information listed above. You may also contact the OPR via email at firstname.lastname@example.org or via phone at (916) 445-0613. For more information, please visit OPR’s Accessibility Site.