Time Critical Removal Action at Property Number SCH-03/S0010
- SCH Number
- Public Agency
- Department of Toxic Substances Control
- Document Title
- Time Critical Removal Action at Property Number SCH-03/S0010
- Document Type
- NOE - Notice of Exemption
- Document Description
- Lead-impacted soil at the Property will be excavated to a maximum of 18 inches below ground surface (bgs). Approximately 140 cubic yards of contaminated soil will be excavated and transported to a permitted facility. Approximately 175 cubic yards of “clean” backfill will be transported to the site to replace the excavated contaminated soil. Interior cleaning will be offered by California Department of Toxic Substances Control (DTSC) within 2 weeks after completion of exterior work on the property and will be scheduled by the property owner(s), in accordance with DTSC's Temporary Relocation and Compensation Implementation Plan. There are several buildings within the property that are used as a school during the weekdays and a church during the weekend. The property also contains bare soil impacted by lead. Approximately 400 children seven (7) years of age or younger and 242 adults (children older than 7 are counted as adults) are present on a daily basis. The DTSC has determined that the presence of lead-impacted soil at the property presents a threat to the public health or welfare and the environment because potential for complete exposure pathway for lead exists at the property. Persons at or in the vicinity of the property may ingest or inhale bare or manually disturbed soils containing elevated concentrations of lead. Lead is a neurotoxin that accumulates both in soft tissues and the bones. The group most at risk to lead-exposure related impacts are fetuses, infants, and children under age seven (7). DTSC, pursuant to regulatory authority granted under Health and Safety Code, Chapter 6.8, has evaluated and approved a Time Critical Removal Action (TCRA) to reduce the risk to public health and the environment from exposure to the lead-impacted soil. See NOE for full details.
- Contact Information
DTSC Site Mitigation and Restoration
8800 Cal Center Drive
Sacramento, CA 95826
Phone : (916) 255-6632
Department of Toxic Substances Control, Exide Cleanup
- Los Angeles
- Cross Streets
- 4430 60TH St.
- Saint Rose of Lima School
Notice of Exemption
- Exempt Status
- Type, Section or Code
- Common Sense Exemption [14 CCR, Sec. 15061(b)(3)]
- Reasons for Exemption
- DTSC has determined with certainty that there is no possibility that the activities would result in "a substantial, or potentially substantial, adverse change in any of the physical conditions within the area affected by the project, including land, air, water, minerals, flora, fauna, ambient noise, and objects of historic or aesthetic significance" (14 CCR, Sec. 15382). DTSC has analyzed the environmental review for other similar cleanup activities, including the Interim Measures – Northern and Southern Assessment Areas and the Negative Declaration prepared in 2014 for those interim measures; the Addendum to the 2014 Negative Declaration, which was prepared in November 2015, as well as the EIR described above to determine that there is no possibility that the activity in question may have a significant effect on the environment. The TCRA is an action to eliminate the direct contact threat associated with high levels of lead in lead-impacted soils at the Property. The threat will be eliminated by excavation and offsite disposal.
- Notice of Exemption
- 2020100481_NOE_SCH-03_10 PDF 193 K
Disclaimer: The Governor’s Office of Planning and Research (OPR) accepts no responsibility for the content or accessibility of these documents. To obtain an attachment in a different format, please contact the lead agency at the contact information listed above. You may also contact the OPR via email at firstname.lastname@example.org or via phone at (916) 445-0613. For more information, please visit OPR’s Accessibility Site.