West Valley College Baseball Complex Improvement Project
- SCH Number
- Lead Agency
- West Valley-Mission Community College District
- Document Title
- West Valley College Baseball Complex Improvement Project
- Document Type
- NOE - Notice of Exemption
- Document Description
- Proposed New and Upgraded Facilities West Valley College has initiated a comprehensive upgrade project for its existing baseball field and associated facilities. Many of these upgrades are planned for in the WVC 2020 Educational Facilities Master Plan (Sequence 4A). The field is located at the southeast area of the WVC campus, near Fruitvale Avenue and Athletics Way. The overall area of the project site is 233,785 sq. ft. (approximately 5.37 acres). The project site is surrounded by vegetated open space associated with the Vasona Creek corridor on the east, WVC parking lot #6 and tennis courts to the south, WVC parking lot #5 to the north, single- family residences and a former orchard across Fruitvale A venue to the west. The proposed project would convert the existing field from natural grass to artificial turf, and install new, improved, and/or expanded dugouts, bathrooms, press boxes, team building, batting cages, pitching lab, storage areas, and storm water management area.
- Contact Information
West Valley - Mission Community College District
14000 Fruitvale A venue
Saratoga, CA 95070
Phone : (408) 741-2042
- Santa Clara
- Other Location Info
- This project is situated on the West Valley College (WVC) campus in the City of Saratoga, County of Santa Clara. The campus is located at the intersection of Fruitvale and Allendale avenues (14000 Fruitvale Avenue).
Notice of Exemption
- Exempt Status
- Categorical Exemption
- Type, Section or Code
- §15301(d), Class 1: Existing Facilities §15304, Class 4: Minor Alterations to Land
- Reasons for Exemption
- The project is exempt pursuant to categorical exemptions per CEQA Guidelines § 15301( c ), Existing Facilities, which identifies exemptions for the operation, repair, maintenance, permitting, leasing, licensing, or minor alteration of existing public or private structures, facilities, mechanical equipment, or topographical features, involving negligible or no expansion of use beyond that existing at the time of the lead agency's determination. This project involves the installation of small new structures and facility improvements on the existing campus baseball field. The increase in use by up to 10 baseball-related events per year would be a negligible expansion of existing uses. The land-disturbing portions of the project also are exempt pursuant to CEQA Guidelines § 15304 defines" Class 4 "Minor Alterations to Land" as "minor public and private alterations in the condition of land, water, and/or vegetation which do not involve removal of healthy, mature, scenic trees except for 3, forestry or agricultural purposes." The CEQA guidelines provide a number of examples of Class 4 projects including (b) new gardening or landscaping." The installation of a storm water detention basin and practice area adjacent to the ballfield, as well as the replacement of natural grass with artificial turf, would require minor modifications to the condition of land, water, and vegetation. No mature trees are proposed for removal. Therefore, the proposed project qualifies for Class 4 categorical exemption. See NOE for full reasons why project is exempt.
- Notice of Exemption
- 2020100020_CEQA State Clearing house PDF 3834 K
Disclaimer: The Governor’s Office of Planning and Research (OPR) accepts no responsibility for the content or accessibility of these documents. To obtain an attachment in a different format, please contact the lead agency at the contact information listed above. You may also contact the OPR via email at email@example.com or via phone at (916) 445-0613. For more information, please visit OPR’s Accessibility Site.