Residential Solar+Storage Control Unit for Providing Grid Services and Demand Side Management
- SCH Number
- Public Agency
- California Energy Commission
- Document Title
- Residential Solar+Storage Control Unit for Providing Grid Services and Demand Side Management
- Document Type
- NOE - Notice of Exemption
- Document Description
- This project will develop and demonstrate a network of autonomous, plug and play, behind-the-meter solar-battery units, called 4-Quadrant Plug and Play Cooperative Units (PQ-CU) that will be installed in each residential solar plus storage system deployment. The PQ-CUs will be controlled by a new platform developed by the recipient with optimization logic that will enable control of multiple systems to achieve benefits for the resident and the grid.
- Contact Information
California Energy Commission
1516 Ninth Street, MS-48
1516 Ninth Street, MS-48, CA 95814
Phone : (916) 327-1492
The Regents of the University of California, Riverside
- Campo Moreno Valley Porterville Redwood City Riverside San Bernardino Sonora Willits
- Mendocino Riverside San Bernardino San Diego San Mateo Tulare Tuolumne
- Other Location Info
- See NOE for full details.
Notice of Exemption
- Exempt Status
- Categorical Exemption
- Type, Section or Code
- Cal. Code Regs., tit 14, § 15301 ; Cal. Code Regs., tit 14, § 15303
- Reasons for Exemption
- California Code of Regulations, title 14, section 15301 ("Existing Facilities") provides that projects which consist of the operation, repair, maintenance, permitting, leasing, licensing, or minor alteration of existing public or private structures, facilities, mechanical equipment, or topographical features, involving negligible or no expansion of existing or former use, are categorically exempt from the provisions of the California Environmental Quality Act. The project will install the following components in each of 15 existing single family homes: solar photovoltaic (PV) panels to absorb the solar energy and convert it to electricity, commercially available residential lithium-ion battery energy storage to store the electrical energy, power electronic converter to convert DC electricity to AC electricity, electrical panel to provide protection circuit and measurements, and a PQ-CU control box to control the PQ-CU (solar + battery) technology. Installation of solar PV panels will be on the rooftops of existing homes; no ground mounts or otherwise will be used. Installation of the battery storage will require minor alterations to the interior or the exterior of the single-family homes or adjacent garages with no expansion of footprint. Specifically, containerized energy storage units will be installed near the electrical panel in or near the existing garage of each home and connected to the home's rooftop solar. The project will not: 1) result in a significant cumulative impact, 2) have a significant effect on the environment due to unusual circumstances, 3) damage resources within a designated state scenic highway, 4) cause substantial adverse change to the significance of a historical resource, or 5) be located on a listed hazardous waste site. For these reasons, the project will have no significant environmental impact and falls under section 15301. See NOE for full details.
- Notice of Exemption
- 2020090413_CEQA-EPC-19-059 UC Riverside Lum Signed-Published PDF 216 K
Disclaimer: The Governor’s Office of Planning and Research (OPR) accepts no responsibility for the content or accessibility of these documents. To obtain an attachment in a different format, please contact the lead agency at the contact information listed above. You may also contact the OPR via email at email@example.com or via phone at (916) 445-0613. For more information, please visit OPR’s Accessibility Site.