Highway 1 Auxiliary Lanes and Bus-on-Shoulder Improvements—Freedom Boulevard to State Park Drive—and Coastal Rail Trail Segment 12 Project
- SCH Number
- Lead Agency
- Caltrans, District 5 - San Luis Obispo/Santa Barbara (California Department of Transportation, District 5)
- Document Title
- Highway 1 Auxiliary Lanes and Bus-on-Shoulder Improvements—Freedom Boulevard to State Park Drive—and Coastal Rail Trail Segment 12 Project
- Document Type
- NOP - Notice of Preparation
- Present Land Use
- Document Description
- The proposed project includes widening of Highway 1, from the Freedom Boulevard interchange to the State Park Drive interchange, to provide auxiliary lanes that would connect the interchange entrance and exit ramps, thereby extending the weaving and merging distance between the ramps. The project also includes bus-on-shoulder features that would support future bus operations on the shoulders of Highway 1 during peak congestion periods. Additionally, the project includes construction of a bicycle and pedestrian trail along the Santa Cruz Branch Line railroad right of way, from State Park Drive to Rio Del Mar Boulevard.
- Contact Information
California Department of Transportation (Caltrans)
50 Higuera Street
San Luis Obispo, CA 93401
Phone : (805) 542-4610
- 36°58'31.21"N 121°53'26.92"W
- Santa Cruz
- Northern California Unincorporated
- Cross Streets
- Freedom Boulevard, Rio Del Mar Boulevard, State Park Drive
- 95003, ...
- Total Acres
- Parcel #
- State Route 1, 039-232-04, 039-232-05, 041-052-13, 041-561-03, 042-011-02, ...
- State Highways
- State Route 1
- Santa Cruz Branch Line
- Rio del Mar Elementary, Aptos High, Valencia Elementary, ...
- Aptos Creek, Borregas Creek, Bush Gulch, East Branch Valencia Creek, Mangles Gulch, ...
- Other Location Info
- Additional zip codes: 95010, 95073, 95076 Additional Parcel Nos.: 042-011-07, 044-272-39, 044-282-61 Additional schools: Aptos Junior High, New Brighton Middle, Mar Vista Elementary, Delta Charter, Cabrillo College Additional waterways: Porter Gulch, Tannery Gulch, Trout Creek Gulch, Valencia Creek, Noble Gulch Additional sections: 16, 17, 18
Notice of Completion
- Review Period Start
- Review Period End
- Development Type
- Transportation:Highway/Freeway (Widen highway to add auxiliary lanes & bus-on-shoulder features) Transportation:Rail (Reconstruct railroad bridges, modifications for new trail) Transportation:Other (Coastal Rail Trail Segment 12 - a new trail in rail right of way)
- Project Issues
- Aesthetic/Visual Air Quality Archaeologic-Historic Biological Resources Coastal Zone Drainage/Absorption Flood Plain/Flooding Geologic/Seismic Greenhouse Gas Emissions Noise Public Services Recreation/Parks Soil Erosion/Compaction/Grading Toxic/Hazardous Traffic/Circulation Vegetation Water Quality Wetland/Riparian Land Use Cumulative Effects Other
- Reviewing Agencies
- California Air Resources Board California Coastal Commission California Department of Conservation California Department of Fish and Wildlife, Bay Delta Region 3 California Department of Fish and Wildlife, Marin Region 7 California Department of Parks and Recreation California Department of Water Resources California Governor's Office of Emergency Services California Natural Resources Agency California Public Utilities Commission California Regional Water Quality Control Board, Central Coast Region 3 Department of Toxic Substances Control Office of Historic Preservation State Water Resources Control Board, Division of Drinking Water State Water Resources Control Board, Division of Water Rights California Native American Heritage Commission California Department of Transportation, District 5 California Highway Patrol
- Environmental Document
- 20200917_hwy1-aux-lanes-frdm-blvd-stprk-nop-050c734-0920 PDF 832 K 20200917_Summary_Form_for_Document_Submittal_hwy1-aux-lanes-frdm-blvd-stprk_050c734 PDF 595 K
- 20200917_hwy1-aux-lanes-frdm-blvd-stprk-noc-050c734-0920 PDF 317 K 20200917_hwy1-aux-lanes-frdm-blvd-stprk-noc-supplemental-information-050c734-0920 PDF 117 K
- State Comments
- 2020090347_Caltrans Comment PDF 422 K 2020090347_CHP_Comment PDF 257 K 2020090347_NAHC Comment PDF 301 K
Disclaimer: The Governor’s Office of Planning and Research (OPR) accepts no responsibility for the content or accessibility of these documents. To obtain an attachment in a different format, please contact the lead agency at the contact information listed above. You may also contact the OPR via email at firstname.lastname@example.org or via phone at (916) 445-0613. For more information, please visit OPR’s Accessibility Site.