Santa Clara and Honby Wells PFAS Groundwater Treatment Improvements Project
- SCH Number
- Lead Agency
- Santa Clarita Valley Water Agency
- Document Title
- Santa Clara and Honby Wells PFAS Groundwater Treatment Improvements Project
- Document Type
- NOE - Notice of Exemption
- Document Description
- The proposed action today is authorization to prepare a final design for this project. The whole of the action also includes construction and operation of the project. The term "Project" in CEQA refers to the whole of the action and to the underlying activity being approved, not to each governmental approval. (CEQA Guideline §15378(a}, (c)-(d)). This definition ensures that the action reviewed under CEQA is not the approval itself but the development or other activities that will result from the approval. Therefore, the Project is subject to CEQA. The Project will consist of installing 4 tanks (approx. 12' diameter, 17' height}, associated cartridge filters, piping, a chloramination disinfection facility housed within a structure, along with associated electrical, SCADA, water quality measuring equipment, pump upgrades and approximately 1, 100 feet of 10"-18" water main pipe located in the City of Santa Clarita's Right-of-Way between the Hanby Well and the Sand Canyon Pump Station site. The vessels will be loaded with ion exchange resin which will trap the contaminants via adsorption. The treatment system will treat up to 1 ,500 gpm for the Santa Clara Well and 950 gpm for the Hon by Well. The treatment is needed since the chemical group PFAS has begun to be regulated and tests of these wells have detected these chemicals, which has led to our inability to use said wells without treatment. During normal operations, the primary discharge at the site will occur when the wells are started up and the well water is discharged to waste prior to sending water through the treatment and distribution system. For well start-up the pump to waste duration is approximately 2-3 minutes at a rate of 1,500 gpm for the Santa Clara Well and 950 gpm for the Honby Well.
- Contact Information
Santa Clarita Valley Water Agency
27234 Bouquet Canyon Road
Santa Clarita, CA 91350
Phone : (661) 705-7912
- Santa Clarita
- Los Angeles
- Other Location Info
- The Santa Clara Well is located at 27100 Furnival Avenue and the Hanby Well is located at 26930 Ruether Drive, both in Santa Clarita, California.
Notice of Exemption
- Exempt Status
- Categorical Exemption
- Type, Section or Code
- See CEQA Guidelines Section 15301 and 15303.
- Reasons for Exemption
- Based on the preliminary project design and anticipated final design, and because the project construction is a minor alteration limited to construction within the Agency's existing facility property and the City of Santa Clarita Rights-of-Way, construction and operation of this project is found to be categorically exempt under the provisions of CEQA and the State CEQA Guidelines as described below: • The Project, aka the whole of the action, qualifies for an exemption under CEQA guidelines section 15301 Class 1 Existing Facilities because it is a minor alteration of an existing public facility and it concerns proposed new mechanical equipment involving negligible or no expansion of use, i.e. no additional extraction of water, beyond that existing at the time of the lead agency's determination. • The Project, aka the whole of the action, also qualifies for an exemption under CEQA guidelines section 15303 Class 3 New Construction or Conversion of Small Structures because the water main extension and treatment system reflect limited construction of facilities where only minor modifications are made. • None of the exemptions listed in Section 15300.2 of the CEQA Guidelines would apply to the action.
- Notice of Exemption
- 2020090132_Santa Clara NOE PDF 1062 K
Disclaimer: The Governor’s Office of Planning and Research (OPR) accepts no responsibility for the content or accessibility of these documents. To obtain an attachment in a different format, please contact the lead agency at the contact information listed above. You may also contact the OPR via email at firstname.lastname@example.org or via phone at (916) 445-0613. For more information, please visit OPR’s Accessibility Site.