Clear Creek Community Services District Backwash Ponds Repair Project
- SCH Number
- Public Agency
- Clear Creek Community Services District
- Document Title
- Clear Creek Community Services District Backwash Ponds Repair Project
- Document Type
- NOE - Notice of Exemption
- Document Description
- The Clear Creek Community Services District (District) provides water service to ±9,000 customers within the District's ±19,000-acre water service area. Water for the District is diverted from Whiskeytown Lake through two intakes in Whiskeytown Dam and is filtered and disinfected at the Water Treatment Plant (WTP). The WTP facilities include three backwash ponds that enable the District to recycle backwash waste water for use by the District and its customers. The 2018 Carr Fire caused extensive destruction in the Whiskeytown Lake watershed, including the area adjacent to the three backwash ponds. Raw water turbidity and biology in Whiskeytown Lake changed dramatically and impacted the filtration capacity and backwash frequency of the WTP. An increase in the historical subsurface flow from around the backwash ponds was noted immediately after the fire, and leakage from the ponds was eventually flowing into Clear Creek. Remedial steps using a leak repair product were taken by CCCSD to reduce the pond percolation rate, but the measures proved futile. The proposed project will substantially reduce, if not eliminate percolated water runoff into Clear Creek, enhance the ability to process backwash sludge, and improve the resiliency of the facilities to respond to natural disasters impacting water quality in Whiskeytown Lake. See NOE for full details.
- Contact Information
Clear Creek Community Services District
5880 Oak Street
Anderson, CA 96007
Phone : (530) 357-2121
- Other Location Info
- The project site is located in unincorporated Shasta County within the Whiskeytown Unit of the Whiskeytown Shasta-Trinity National Recreation Area. Improvements would occur at the Water Treatment Plant, located at the base of Whiskeytown Dam, east of Clear Creek (Section 27, Township 32 N, Range 6 W, of the U.S. Geological Survey Igo quadrangle (see Figure 1).
Notice of Exemption
- Exempt Status
- Categorical Exemption
- Type, Section or Code
- Title 14, Division 6, Chapter 3 (CEQA Guidelines): Class 1, §15301 (Existing Facilities)
- Reasons for Exemption
- Class 1 includes the repair, maintenance, or minor alteration of publicly owned utilities, involving negligible or no expansion of use, and the rehabilitation of damaged structures, facilities, or mechanical facilities to meet current public health standards and safety. The project is consistent with this categorical exemption because work would consist of repairs to the District's facilities that were damaged due to the 2018 Carr Fire. As documented in Attachment A, the project would not have a significant effect on the environment due to unusual circumstances; would not result in damage to scenic resources within a Scenic Highway; is not located on a hazardous waste site pursuant to §65962.5 of the Government Code; would not cause a substantial adverse change in the significance of a historical resource; and would not result in cumulative impacts.
- Notice of Exemption
- 2020080541_Clear Creek CSD Backwash Ponds Repair Project PDF 3446 K
Disclaimer: The Governor’s Office of Planning and Research (OPR) accepts no responsibility for the content or accessibility of these documents. To obtain an attachment in a different format, please contact the lead agency at the contact information listed above. You may also contact the OPR via email at firstname.lastname@example.org or via phone at (916) 445-0613. For more information, please visit OPR’s Accessibility Site.