HP-Flex: Next Generation Heat Pump Load Flexib
- SCH Number
- Lead Agency
- Energy Commission (California Energy Commission)
- Document Title
- HP-Flex: Next Generation Heat Pump Load Flexib
- Document Type
- NOE - Notice of Exemption
- Project Applicant
- DOE- Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory
- Document Description
- This project will develop and test an open-source building energy management system, called HP-Flex, that controls heat pump (HP) settings in small/medium commercial (SMC) buildings to provide load flexibility (LF) shape, shift, shed, and/or shimmy, while meeting occupant needs and minimizing operating cost. The system includes new optimization software and equipment interfaces that collectively optimize HP operation, while being extensible to manage equipment such as refrigeration, water heaters, batteries, and thermal storage.
- Contact Information
California Energy Commission
1516 Ninth Street, MS-48
Sacramento, CA 95814
Phone : (916) 327-3312
- Arcata Berkeley Los Angeles Oakland
- Alameda Humboldt Los Angeles
- Other Location Info
- One Cyclotron Road, 1 HARPST ST 900, Fallon St, 1600 W Imperial Hwy, 1100 North Eastern Ave.
Notice of Exemption
- Exempt Status
- Categorical Exemption
- Type, Section or Code
- Reasons for Exemption
- This agreement's activities are exempt under 14 CCR section 15301, which consists of minor alterations to existing facilities with little or no expansion of use. This project will develop software to maximize the energy use of heat pumps, test it out, and develop education material to teach people how to use it. The research and development will be done in existing laboratory facilities and within the existing guidelines of those facilities. The demonstration phase will occur by installing the developed software and associated minor hardware into existing buildings. This will not change the use of the buildings. The education material will be developed in offices of existing educational facilities of higher learning. No unusual circumstances exist that would cause the activities under this agreement to have a significant effect on the environment.
- Notice of Exemption
- 2020080292_HP-Flex Next Generation Heat Pump Load Flexibility PDF 352 K
Disclaimer: The Governor’s Office of Planning and Research (OPR) accepts no responsibility for the content or accessibility of these documents. To obtain an attachment in a different format, please contact the lead agency at the contact information listed above. You may also contact the OPR via email at firstname.lastname@example.org or via phone at (916) 445-0613. For more information, please visit OPR’s Accessibility Site.