Demonstrating Code-compliant Energy Storage Systems and Their Capabilities for Grid Harmonization
- SCH Number
- Public Agency
- California Energy Commission
- Document Title
- Demonstrating Code-compliant Energy Storage Systems and Their Capabilities for Grid Harmonization
- Document Type
- NOE - Notice of Exemption
- Document Description
- The purpose of this project is to install and evaluate the performance of commercially available energy storage in new construction single-family homes and multifamily affordable housing complexes, assess the values of energy storage for the customer, and determine whether any future changes would be required to Title 24 building code. Title 24 recently requires solar on all new construction. It is anticipated that developers will be offering energy storage to customers and customers may be asking for energy storage to enable them to reduce electricity costs and provide backup power during a grid outage. This project will install and connect energy storage units to solar panels being installed by developers at approximately 15 new single-family homes and two multifamily affordable housing complexes which are either currently being built or in the planning stage and evaluate the performance of the energy storage for at least one year. This project will provide benefits for the homeowners, multifamily affordable housing owners and tenants, the utility grid, and IOU ratepayers.
- Contact Information
California Energy Commission
1516 Ninth Street, MS-48
Sacramento, CA 95814
Phone : (916) 327-2222
Electric Power Research Institute, Inc.
- Carmel Valley Clovis Guadalupe Rohnert Park Santa Maria Santa Rosa
- Fresno Monterey Santa Barbara Sonoma
- Other Location Info
- 35030 Sky Ranch Road Carmel Valley 93924 Monterey Varies - Ridge View single-family homes located between Quincy Ave & N locan Ave Clovis 93612 Fresno Varies - The Highlands single-family homes located between E Shaw Ave and N Highland Clovis 93612 Fresno Varies - Willowglen single-family homes located between Bodway Pkwy, Valley House Dr, and Petaluma Hill Rd Rohnert Park 94928 Sonoma Varies Santa Rosa 95403 Sonoma 4202 11th Street Guadalupe 93434 Santa Barbara 665 Sierra Madre Ave Santa Maria 93454 Santa Barbara
Notice of Exemption
- Exempt Status
- Categorical Exemption
- Type, Section or Code
- Cal. Code Regs., tit 14, § 15301 ; Cal. Code Regs., tit 14, § 15303
- Reasons for Exemption
- California Code of Regulations, title 14, section 15301 ("Existing Facilities") provides that projects which consist of the operation, repair, maintenance, permitting, leasing, licensing, or minor alteration of existing public or private structures, facilities, mechanical equipment, or topographical features, involving negligible or no expansion of existing or former use, are categorically exempt from the provisions of the California Environmental Quality Act. The project will install lithium - ion (Li-ion) battery energy storage units at approximately 15 fully developed single family homes and two multifamily affordable housing complexes with existing rooftop solar photovoltaic panels. Installation will require minor alterations to the interior or the exterior of the garages of the single-family homes and the interior of the building utility rooms of the multifamily affordable housing complexes with no expansion of footprint. Specifically, containerized energy storage units will be installed near the electrical panel in the existing garage of each home and the building utility room of each multifamily affordable housing complex and connected to the home's and building's rooftop solar. For these reasons, the project will have no significant environmental impact and falls under section 15301. See NOE for full details.
- Notice of Exemption
- 2020080149_Demonstrating Code-compliant Energy Storage PDF 193 K
Disclaimer: The Governor’s Office of Planning and Research (OPR) accepts no responsibility for the content or accessibility of these documents. To obtain an attachment in a different format, please contact the lead agency at the contact information listed above. You may also contact the OPR via email at firstname.lastname@example.org or via phone at (916) 445-0613. For more information, please visit OPR’s Accessibility Site.