Pit 1 Hydroelectric Project, Federal Energy Regulatory Commission (FERC) Project No. 2687 Section 401 Water Quality Certification~ Condition 13 - Request for Te
- SCH Number
- Lead Agency
- State Water Resources Control Board
- Document Title
- Pit 1 Hydroelectric Project, Federal Energy Regulatory Commission (FERC) Project No. 2687 Section 401 Water Quality Certification~ Condition 13 - Request for Te
- Document Type
- NOE - Notice of Exemption
- Project Applicant
- Pacific Gas and Electric Company (PG&E)
- Document Description
- PG&E owns and operates the Pit 1 Hydroelectric Project (Hydroelectric Project) as a peaking operation that generates 65.5 megawatts of energy from the Pit 1 Powerhouse on the Pit River. On March 19, 2003, FERC issued a renewed operating license for the Hydroelectric Project The FERC license incorporates the water quality certification (certification), issued by the State Water Resources Control Board on December 4, 2001, as part of the terms and conditions of the new FERC license. Per Condition 13 of the certification, PG&E is required to release summer flushing flows from the Pit 1 Forebay Dam to control nuisance aquatic vegetation and mosquito production in FaU River Pond. In this instance, the "Project" constitutes the temporary suspension of summer flushing flows required per Condition 13 of the Hydroelectric Project certification. The temporary suspension of summer flushing flows requested by PG&E and supported by the United States Fish and Wildlife Service, is needed to protect the Shasta crayfish (Pacifastacus forlis), which is listed as endangered under both the federal and California Endangered Species Acts.
- Contact Information
State Water Resources Control Board
P.O. Box 2000
Sacramento, CA 95812
Phone : (916) 327-8449
- Fall River Mills
- Other Location Info
- The Pit 1 Hydroelectric Project is located on the Pit and Fall Rivers near the communities of Fall River Mms and McArthur in the northeastern portion of Shasta County California. Summer flushing flows are released from the Pit 1 Forebay Dam located on the Pit River immediately upstream of Fan River Pond. The Pit 1 forebay is a 222-acre impoundment immediately above the 0. 7-mile-long Fan River Pond.
Notice of Exemption
- Exempt Status
- Categorical Exemption
- Type, Section or Code
- Class 7, § 15307
- Reasons for Exemption
- Temporary suspension of summer ·flushing flows for one additional year wm not have a significant adverse effect and is categorically exempt from the requirements to prepare environmental document,; under California Code of Regulations~ title 14, section 15307 (Actions by Regulatory Agencies for Protection of Natural Resources). Continued suspension of summer flushing flows is being implemented to protect the endangered Shasta crayfish.
- Notice of Exemption
- 2020070045_Pit 1 NO PDF 502 K
Disclaimer: The Governor’s Office of Planning and Research (OPR) accepts no responsibility for the content or accessibility of these documents. To obtain an attachment in a different format, please contact the lead agency at the contact information listed above. You may also contact the OPR via email at email@example.com or via phone at (916) 445-0613. For more information, please visit OPR’s Accessibility Site.