The project is known as the Brown Bear Hotel and Conference Center and Multi Family Housing Development. There are two components to the project; an amendment to the land use and zoning map for the Mariposa Town Planning Area Specific Plan, and a design review for the entirety of the project.
General Plan/Specific Plan/Zoning Map Amendment Application (GP/SP/ZA) No. 2019-216 and Design Review Application No. 2020-035 changes the land use designation of all of a 7.02 acre parcel (APN 013-050-060) and a portion (0.18+/- acre) of a split zoned 0.39 acre parcel (APN 013-050-059) from Multi Family Residential to General Commercial. The property site encompasses 17.97 acres and involves six parcels. The rezoning of the property will allow for the construction of:
• a hotel/conference center that will provide 180 rooms, including 124 standard rooms, 14 nightly suites, and 42 extended stay suites
• a 5,300± sq. ft. Conference Center seating 250 for banquet style dining and including high quality operable partitions allowing for flexible space and multiple breakout meeting and conference rooms
• an 1,800± sq. ft. restaurant seating 122
• a 1,125± sq. ft. lobby/lounge
• a 420± sq. ft. fitness center
• an outdoor pool, a garden area, outdoor wedding venue and outdoor barbecue area
• A total of 130,743± sq. ft. of space for the hotel/conference center uses
The residential component of the project will be constructed on 6.77 acres in the Multi-Family residential zone and includes 96 multi-family units in three (3) three-story structures. The housing units will target living-wage, single- and small-family households. The units will provide housing not only for project employees, but also for the community of Mariposa and Yosemite employees.