Project Description: On October 27, 2021, the Joint Powers Commission conducted a second reading and adopted Ordinance #JPA 21-02, the 2021 March JPA Truck Route Ordinance. Since the approval of Amendment No. 8 to the March Business Center Specific Plan (SP-1) on February 10, 2021, which added a street network and truck route to the northwest corner of the South Campus, an update to March JPA’s existing Truck Route Ordinance #JPA 17-06 was warranted. Ordinance #JPA 21-02 was adopted to address the following:
• Add Caroline Way as a truck route for consistency with the approved March Business Center Specific Plan Amendment (SP-1, A8);
• Add recitals relating to the certified Subsequent Environmental Impact Report for the South Campus Specific Plan and Village West Drive Extension Project (SCH# 202000059028) and adopted Mitigation Monitoring and Reporting Program;
• Add recital to implement a monetary fine schedule for truck route violations consistent with mitigation measure MM-TRA-2 from the Mitigation Monitoring and Reporting Program for the South Campus Specific Plan and Village West Drive Extension Project;
• Update to Section 3 adding Caroline Way as a Truck Route and further clarifying the designated streets in which a commercial vehicle exceeding five (5) tons is permitted;
• Update to Section 4 adding public agency vehicles as an exemption to the proposed Ordinance;
• Update to Section 6 specifically indicating the appropriate truck route signs to be posted per the California Manual on Uniform Traffic Control Devices (CAMUTCD) and the California Vehicle Code (CVC). Also, for two signs labeled “TRUCK ROUTE” with directional arrows to be installed in the County of Riverside right-of-way along westbound Van Buren Boulevard between Meridian Parkway and Village West Drive to assure trucks utilize Village West Drive rather than Coyote Bush Road for deliveries to the South Campus. (Note: the proposed signage within the County of Riverside right-of-way has been authorized by County TLMA);
• Add Section 9 to identify the Left-Turn Prohibition by commercial vehicles having a gross weight more than five (5) tons at Coyote Bush Road or Village West Drive onto Van Buren Boulevard;
• Add Section 10 identifying the penalties for any person who violates any signs or markings installed pursuant to the Ordinance;
• Update to Exhibit “A” March JPA’s Truck Route Map;
• Update to Exhibit “B” indicating the CAMUTCD signs to be used on internal roadways; and
• Update to Exhibit “C” reflecting supplemental truck route signage for the South Campus.
Pursuant to Public Resources Code Section 21166 and State CEQA Guidelines section 15162 no further environmental review is required for the adoption of Ordinance #JPA 21-02.