Lake Forest - Bennington #1 Transformer and Switchgear Replacement
- SCH Number
- Lead Agency
- Sacramento Municipal Utility District
- Document Title
- Lake Forest - Bennington #1 Transformer and Switchgear Replacement
- Document Type
- NOE - Notice of Exemption
- Document Description
- The Project consists of replacing a distribution substation transformer that is nearing its end of life, which is located within an existing distribution substation. The Project will significantly minimize the probability of a transformer failure which may result in decreased reliability, unfavorable operational impacts and fire risk. To mitigate long term risk and to optimize capital investment, the transformer replacement project will also take industry standard criteria for fire protection into consideration. The existing substation transformer and associated switchgear will be replaced and relocated within the existing substation to meet the required approach distance for substation workers and the separation distance for fire protection. In addition, the Project will include limited 12 and 69 kilovolt line work to support to the transformer and switchgear replacement including removal of 225 circuit feet of line and replacement with 325 circuit feet of new line. Construction is anticipated to start as early as September 2020 or soon thereafter and last for approximately 6 to 9 months.
- Contact Information
Sacramento Municipal Utility District
6201 S Street, Mailstop H201
Sacramento, CA 95817
Phone : (916) 732-5063
- Other Location Info
- SMUD’s White Rock – Folsom substation is located in the northwestern portion of SMUD’s service territory, which includes the majority of Sacramento County.
Notice of Exemption
- Exempt Status
- Categorical Exemption
- Type, Section or Code
- CEQA PRC §21080(b)(9), 21084; CEQA Guidelines §15301: Existing Facilities, 15302: Replacement or Reconstruction
- Reasons for Exemption
- Under CEQA Guidelines § 15062, a lead agency must identify the rationale for making the determination that a project is exempt under CEQA. SMUD has determined that the Lake Forest - Bennington #1 Transformer Replacement Project is exempt under CEQA Guidelines Section 15301 states that “Class 1 consists of the operation, repair, maintenance, permitting, leasing, licensing, or minor alteration of existing public or private structures, facilities, mechanical equipment, or topographical features, involving negligible or no expansion of existing or former use.” This project will involve repair and minor alternation of an existing distribution substation with no expansion of use. Section 15302 states that “Class 2 consists of replacement or reconstruction of existing structures and facilities where the new structure will be located on the same site as the structure replaced and will have substantially the same purpose and capacity as the structure replaced...” This project involves replacement of an existing distribution substation transformer, which will serve the same purpose as the existing transformer, within the same distribution substation, and therefore is considered exempt in accordance with CEQA Guidelines §15301 and §15302.
- Notice of Exemption
- 2020050519_Lake Forest Bennington #1 project PDF 171 K
Disclaimer: The Governor’s Office of Planning and Research (OPR) accepts no responsibility for the content or accessibility of these documents. To obtain an attachment in a different format, please contact the lead agency at the contact information listed above. You may also contact the OPR via email at firstname.lastname@example.org or via phone at (916) 445-0613. For more information, please visit OPR’s Accessibility Site.