Line 56 Department of Water Resources (DWR) California Aqueduct Crossing Project (California Endangered Species Act Incidental Take Permit No. 2081-2018-056-04)
- SCH Number
- Lead Agency
- Fish and Wildlife, Region 4 - Central, Fresno (California Department of Fish and Wildlife, Central Region 4)
- Document Title
- Line 56 Department of Water Resources (DWR) California Aqueduct Crossing Project (California Endangered Species Act Incidental Take Permit No. 2081-2018-056-04)
- Document Type
- NOE - Notice of Exemption
- Document Description
- The California Department of Fish and Wildlife (CDFW) has issued a California Endangered Species Act (CESA; Fish and Game Code, § 2050 et seq.) Incidental Take Permit, No. 2081-2018-056-04, to permit Plains Pipeline, L.P., to incidentally take San Joaquin antelope squirrel and San Joaquin kit fox, which are listed as threatened species under CESA (Fish & G. Code § 2050 et seq.; see Cal. Code Regs., tit. 14, § 670.5, subd. (b)(6)(B) and (b)(6)(E), respectively) and Tipton kangaroo rat, which is listed as an endangered species under CESA (Fish & G. Code § 2050 et seq.; see Cal. Code Regs., tit. 14, § 670.5, subd. (a)(6)(D)). The proposed Project includes the replacement of a pipeline segment that is part of an existing 8-inch diameter steel pipeline that is used to transport crude oil that crosses the Aqueduct ROW. Results of a pipeline inspection found that a pipeline segment of approximately 922 feet, within the Project location, showed signs of a deteriorated wall thickness and an inadequate grade of steel. The pipeline needs immediate repair to prevent failure that could cause a spill of crude oil into the Aqueduct causing pollution of the waters therein. Replacement of the pipeline will consist of: Approximately 245-feet on the north side of the Aqueduct from station 249+75.16 to 252+19.74 (with 8.625? outer diameter (O.D.) x 0.322? wall thickness (WT) or better); 243-feet within the existing 20? casing crossing the Aqueduct from station 252+19.74 to 254+62.38 with 8.625? O.D. x 0.500?; and 434 feet on the south side of the Aqueduct from station 254+62.38 to 258.95.93 (with 8.625? O.D. x 0.322? WT or better). The Project will result in temporary impacts to no more than 1.99 acres of Covered Species habitat.
- Contact Information
California Department of Fish and Wildlife
1234 East Shaw Avenue
Fresno, CA 93710
Phone : (559) 243-4014
- Other Location Info
- The Line 56 DWR Aqueduct Crossing Project is located in western Kern County, California, at the southern end of the San Joaquin Valley. The Project is located within DWR boundaries and the California Aqueduct right-of-way (ROW) east of Basic School Road and south of Copus Road within the northwest ¼ of Section 35, Township 12 North, Range 23 East, Mount Diablo Base and Meridian (MDB&M), in the Pentland, CA, United States Geological Survey (USGS) 7.5-minute quadrangle.
Notice of Exemption
- Exempt Status
- Statutory Exemption
- Type, Section or Code
- Reasons for Exemption
- Approval of this Project is subject to the statutory exemption for “Specific actions necessary to prevent or mitigate an emergency” (Emergency Project; Pub. Resources Code, §21080, subd. (b)(4)) under the California Environmental Quality Act (CEQA; Pub. Resources Code, §21000 et seq.). “Emergency” is defined as “A sudden, unexpected occurrence, involving a clear and imminent danger, demanding immediate action to prevent or mitigate loss of, or damage to, life, health, property, or essential public services” (Pub. Resources Code, §21060.3). See NOE for Full Details.
- Notice of Exemption
- 2020040081_NOE_2081-2018-056-04 PDF 190 K
Disclaimer: The Governor’s Office of Planning and Research (OPR) accepts no responsibility for the content or accessibility of these documents. To obtain an attachment in a different format, please contact the lead agency at the contact information listed above. You may also contact the OPR via email at email@example.com or via phone at (916) 445-0613. For more information, please visit OPR’s Accessibility Site.