Chevron North America Exploration and Production Company Cymric Surface Expression Emergency Cleanup Major Amendment No. 2 (California Endangered Species Act In
- SCH Number
- Lead Agency
- Fish and Wildlife, Region 4 - Central, Fresno (California Department of Fish and Wildlife, Central Region 4)
- Document Title
- Chevron North America Exploration and Production Company Cymric Surface Expression Emergency Cleanup Major Amendment No. 2 (California Endangered Species Act In
- Document Type
- NOE - Notice of Exemption
- Document Description
- The California Department of Fish and Wildlife (CDFW) approved by CDFW consists of the ITP, Major Amendment No. 1, and Major Amendment No. 2 to permit Chevron North America Exploration and Production Company to incidentally take giant kangaroo rat which is designated as an endangered species under CESA, and San Joaquin antelope squirrel and San Joaquin kit fox which are designated as a threatened species under CESA. (Fish & G. Code § 2050 et seq.; see Cal. Code Regs., tit. 14, § 670.5, subd. (a)(6)(D), (b)(6)(B) and (b)(6)(E), respectively). The Project includes activities necessary to cleanup surface expressions which began May 10, 2019 and released crude oil and produced water into a nearby dry stream. Major Amendment No. 2 makes six changes to the ITP. Amendment No. 2 makes five specific changes to the ITP, as amended. Amendment No. 2 extends the expiration date of the ITP, as amended, from March 1, 2020 to October 1, 2020, adds a new access road to the Project Description which increases the overall Project footprint from 29.53 acres to 30.8 acres, increases the total impact to Covered Species from 8.43 acres to 8.64 acres, increases the amount of required HM Lands from 12.65 to 12.96 acres, and increases the Performance Security to adequately fund the increased HM Lands requirement.
- Contact Information
California Department of Fish and Wildlife (CDFW) Central Region
1234 East Shaw Avenue
Fresno, CA 93710
Phone : (559) 243-4005
- Other Location Info
- The Cymric Surface Expression Emergency Cleanup Project is located within existing California Geologic Energy Management Division (CalGem) Administrative Boundaries of the Cymric Oil Field in western Kern County, California. The Project is approx. 4 miles northwest of the town of McKittrick in Township 30 South, Range 21 East, Section 1, Township 29 South, Range 21 East, Section 36, and Township 29 South, Range 22 East, Section 31. The Project is specifically within Assessor’s Parcel Numbers 156 040-03 and 099-310-44, United States Geological Survey (USGS) 7.5-minute quadrangle map Reward, Mount Diablo Base and Meridian.
Notice of Exemption
- Exempt Status
- Statutory Exemption
- Type, Section or Code
- Title 14, section 15269, subdivision (c); Public Resources Code Sec. 21080, subdivision (b)(4)
- Reasons for Exemption
- Approval of this Project is subject to the statutory exemption for “Specific actions necessary to prevent or mitigate an emergency” (Emergency Project; Pub. Resources Code, §21080, subd. (b)(4)) under the California Environmental Quality Act (CEQA; Pub. Resources Code, §21000 et seq.). “Emergency” is defined as “A sudden, unexpected occurrence, involving a clear and imminent danger, demanding immediate action to prevent or mitigate loss of, or damage to, life, health, property, or essential public services” (Pub. Resources Code, §21060.3). See NOE for full reasons why project is exempt.
- Notice of Exemption
- 2020030757_NOE_2081-2019-034-04_Amend2 PDF 189 K
Disclaimer: The Governor’s Office of Planning and Research (OPR) accepts no responsibility for the content or accessibility of these documents. To obtain an attachment in a different format, please contact the lead agency at the contact information listed above. You may also contact the OPR via email at firstname.lastname@example.org or via phone at (916) 445-0613. For more information, please visit OPR’s Accessibility Site.