State Water Exchange Between the Mojave Water Agency and Metropolitan Water District of Southern California

Summary

SCH Number
2020020213
Lead Agency
Mojave Water Agency
Document Title
State Water Exchange Between the Mojave Water Agency and Metropolitan Water District of Southern California
Document Type
NOE - Notice of Exemption
Received
Posted
2/10/2020
Project Applicant
Mojave Water Agency

Document Description
MWA agrees to instruct DWR to deliver to MWDSC, at a time and place to be determined by DWR and agreed by MWDSC and KCWA, a total of up to twenty-thousand . (20,000) acre feet of MWA's 2020 Table A water. Either KCWA will deliver the water on MWDSC,s behalf to RRB for storage directly in the Strand Ranch or into storage in other existing water banking or exchange programs (including Kern Water Bank) in which I RWD is a participant in Kern County with a subsequent transfer to the Strand Ranch. MWA may request MWDSC to instruct DWR to return deliver an amount equivalent to one-quarter of its portion (25% of the total storage amount) of the stored water back to MWA in any year that MWA requires the supplies. Stored water would be delivered to MWA through direct recovery from the Strand Ranch and/or exchange. The remaining 75% of banked water after proportional and applicable losses shall be transferred to MWDSC for mutual use of MWDSC and IRWD. MWA's request for delivery by exchange shall take place prior to the end of the tenth calendar year subsequent to the recharge of water.

Contact Information
Thomas McCarthy
Mojave Water Agency
13846 Conference Center Dr
Apple Valley, CA 92307

Phone : (760) 946-7000

Location

Counties
Kern
Other Location Info
Mojave Water Agency (MWA) is a State Water Project contractor located in San Bernardino County. The Metropolitan Water District of Southern California (MWDSC) is a State Water Project contractor serving most of Southern California and headquartered in Los Angeles, California. The State Water Project includes facilities located throughout the State of California. The California Department of Water Resources (DWR) is headquartered in Sacramento, California. Irvine Ranch Water District (IRWD) receives State Water Project from MWDSC through the Municipal Water District of Southern California (MWDOC) and is located in Orange County, California. IRWD owns the Strand Ranch Integrated Banking Project (Strand Ranch) located in Kern County. IRWD, MWDSC and MWDOC have executed a Coordinated Operating and Exchange Agreement that allows IRWD to secure State Water Project on MWDSC's behalf for the joint benefit of MWDSC and IRWD. The Strand Ranch Integrated Banking Project is operated by Rosedale-Rio Bravo Water Storage (RRB) which has an annual state water project Table A amount through State Water Project contractor Kern County Water Agency (KCWA) also located in Kern County.

Notice of Exemption

Exempt Status
Categorical Exemption
Type, Section or Code
Title 14, CCR, Chapter 3, Article 5, Section 15061(b)(3); and Article 19, Section 15301 (b) (Existing public facilities)
Reasons for Exemption
For the reasons stated below, this project is determined to be exempt per CEQA Guidelines section 15061 (b)3 which provides that a lead agency may determine an activity to be exempt based upon the general rule that CEQA applies only to projects that have a potential for significant effect on the environment. Further, this project is categorically exempt under CEQA Guidelines section 15301 (b) (operation of existing facilities used to provide public utility services which involve a negligible or no expansion of the existing use). See NOE for Full Details.

Attachments

Notice of Exemption
2020020213_State Water Exchange Between the Mojiave   PDF 1162 K

Disclaimer: The Governor’s Office of Planning and Research (OPR) accepts no responsibility for the content or accessibility of these documents. To obtain an attachment in a different format, please contact the lead agency at the contact information listed above. You may also contact the OPR via email at state.clearinghouse@opr.ca.gov or via phone at (916) 445-0613. For more information, please visit OPR’s Accessibility Site.

Download CSV New Search Print