Mill Creek Vegetation Maintenance
- SCH Number
- Lead Agency
- Fish and Wildlife, Region 6 - Inland Deserts, Ontario (California Department of Fish and Wildlife, Inland Deserts Region 6 )
- Document Title
- Mill Creek Vegetation Maintenance
- Document Type
- NOE - Notice of Exemption
- Project Applicant
- California Department of Fish and Wildlife
- Document Description
- CDFW proposes to perform vegetation maintenance activities on approximately 5,000 linear feet of Mill Creek (also known as the south branch of Pine Creek). Mill Creek is controlled and diverted from the north (main) branch of Pine Creek with a diversion structure and conveys water and associated appropriated water rights downstream to where it is used for irrigated agriculture in Round Valley and eventually joins the Owens River. Maintenance activities will include cutting back woody riparian vegetation, particularly dead branches, which overhangs the stream and may cause blockages and flooding. Debris that has already fallen may be removed as well. The work will be completed using hand tools, chainsaws, and chippers. The purpose of the project is to maintain vegetation along the creek in a way that preserves the wildlife habitat and reduces the likelihood of flooding during the high stream flows that occur during spring snowmelt. During extreme runoff events flooding in Mill Creek may result in damage to public infrastructure such as roads and bridges, cause increased erosion, and impair habitats for fish and wildlife. The work will be conducted on an ongoing basis between October 1 and March 15 to avoid potential for the disturbance of nesting birds. The project will not result in the taking of endangered, rare, or threatened plant or animal species, remove mature, healthy, scenic trees, or cause significant erosion and sedimentation of surface waters.
- Contact Information
California Department of Fish and Wildlife Inland Deserts Region
Bishop Field Office 787 N. Main Street, Suite 220
Bishop, CA 93514
Phone : (760) 872-1173
- 19, 20
- Other Location Info
- The project will be located on California Department of Fish and Wildlife ("CDFW") property east of the community of Rovana, south of Pine Creek Road, and north of Vanadium Ranch Road in northern Inyo County, State of California.
Notice of Exemption
- Exempt Status
- Categorical Exemption
- Type, Section or Code
- Section 15301 and 15304
- Reasons for Exemption
- The project is Class 1, §15301 (Existing Facilities) Exempt; the Project includes maintenance of a wildlife habitat area and stream channel to protect fish and wildlife resources. The project is Class 4, §15304 (Minor Alterations to Land) Exempt; the Project will result in minor alterations to vegetation which will not involve removal of healthy, mature, scenic trees.
- Notice of Exemption
- 2020010116_Mill Creek_20200109_142145 PDF 629 K
Disclaimer: The Governor’s Office of Planning and Research (OPR) accepts no responsibility for the content or accessibility of these documents. To obtain an attachment in a different format, please contact the lead agency at the contact information listed above. You may also contact the OPR via email at firstname.lastname@example.org or via phone at (916) 445-0613. For more information, please visit OPR’s Accessibility Site.