Auburn Shaded Fuel Break - Northern Extension (revised acreage)
- SCH Number
- Public Agency
- Placer County Resource Conservation District
- Document Title
- Auburn Shaded Fuel Break - Northern Extension (revised acreage)
- Document Type
- NOE - Notice of Exemption
- Present Land Use
- Wildland, recreation
- Document Description
- Placer RCD is working with state, local and federal partners to install a shaded fuel break along the rim of the North Fork American River canyon to protect the city of Auburn from catastrophic wildfire. The goal of the project is to reduce dense understory and ladder fuels to create canopy separation. This has the intent of modifying fire behavior to reduce fire severity in the event of a wildfire. Treatments will include handwork to remove fuels under 10 inches in DBH. Vegetation will be chipped and broadcast in areas accessible with a tracked chipper, and hand piled for burning in steep areas/areas with heavy broom. Grazing and herbicide may also be used to reduce fuels in the project area. The project area consists of approximately 24 acres of private land. A wildfire coming out of the American River canyon would pose a serious threat to life, property, and biological resources in the area. A shaded fuel break will reduce the threat to the City of Auburn by creating safer ingress/egress routes for evacuees and fire personnel and allowing for safer firefighting through modification of wildfire behavior. Mastication may also be used on approximately 10 acres of the project area. Use of mastication will be dependent on sloe, access, and environmental factors. Mastication will not be used in areas where cultural resources or sensitive species have been identified.
- Contact Information
Placer County Resource Conservation District
281 Nevada St.
Auburn, CA 95603
Phone : (530) 390-6684
Placer County Resource Conservation District (RCD)
- Other Location Info
- North of the Foresthill Bridge
Notice of Exemption
- Exempt Status
- Categorical Exemption
- Type, Section or Code
- 15304 - Minor alterations to land
- Reasons for Exemption
- The Placer RCD is proposing the qualification of exemption from a comprehensive CEQA analysis under the Class 4 category for minor alterations to land. The project will consist of fuels management activities for the creation of a shaded fuel break. The proposed project will reduce the volume of flammable vegetation under 10 inches in DBH and will not result in the taking of endangered, rare, or threatened plant or animal species, significant erosion/sedimentation of surface water, or impact to cultural resources. The project does not involve the removal of healthy, mature, scenic trees. Refer to CA 14 CCR Section 15304.
- Notice of Exemption
- NOE_PhaseIII PDF 2067 K
Disclaimer: The Governor’s Office of Planning and Research (OPR) accepts no responsibility for the content or accessibility of these documents. To obtain an attachment in a different format, please contact the lead agency at the contact information listed above. You may also contact the OPR via email at email@example.com or via phone at (916) 445-0613. For more information, please visit OPR’s Accessibility Site.