Jackson DSF Timber Stand Improvement
- SCH Number
- Lead Agency
- Forestry and Fire Protection, Department of (California Department of Forestry and Fire Protection)
- Document Title
- Jackson DSF Timber Stand Improvement
- Document Type
- NOE - Notice of Exemption
- Document Description
- The goal of the proposed project is to provide for maintenance of vegetation management work performed in conjunction with Timber Harvest Plans. This work will promote conifer regeneration and address competing woody vegetation and hardwoods. Activities conducted under this project will include: precommercial thinning of conifer species (hand felling of individual stems to increase light and growing space), hand felling of less than 11 in diameter competing noncommercial trees and vegetation, foliar herbicide applications, and frill herbicide applications.
- Contact Information
California Department of Forestry and Fire Protection
802 N Main St.
Fort Bragg, CA 95437
Phone : (707) 964-5674
- Cross Streets
- Jackson Demonstration State Forest
Notice of Exemption
- Exempt Status
- Categorical Exemption
- Type, Section or Code
- 15304, Class 4
- Reasons for Exemption
- This project will utilize manual methods to treat submerchantable tree species and nonmerchantable shrub species. No heavy equipment use is proposed under this project. No woody material will be commercialized or removed from the site in association with this project. There will not be any ground disturbance associated with this project. No overstory trees or trees with wildlife habitat value will be removed in association with this project. The goal of this project is to improve forest health, structure, composition, and growth through minor modification to the understory of existing stands, in order to promote the establishment of a new generation of conifers that will one day grow into the overstory. For these reasons this project will not have a significant effect on the environment and, qualifies for a categorical exemption under 14 CCR 15304 Class 4 (Minor Alterations to Land). Class 4 exemptions under this code section consist of "minor public or private alterations in the condition of land, water, and/or vegetation which do not involve removal.of healthy, mature, scenic trees except for forestry or agricultural purposes." (14 CCR 15304) Field review by CAL FIRE staff confirmed that no exceptions apply that would preclude the use of a notice of exemption for this project. The Department has concluded that no significant environmental impact would occur to aesthetics, agriculture and forestland or timberland, air quality, biological resources, cultural resources, geology and soils, greenhouse gas emissions, hazards and hazardous materials, hydrology and water quality, land use planning, mineral resources, noise, population and housing, public services, recreation, transportation or traffic, or to utilities and service systems. Documentation of the environmental review completed by the Department is kept on file at 1416 9th Street, Sacramento, CA 95814.
- Notice of Exemption
- 2019120209 Jackson DSF Timber PDF 839 K
Disclaimer: The Governor’s Office of Planning and Research (OPR) accepts no responsibility for the content or accessibility of these documents. To obtain an attachment in a different format, please contact the lead agency at the contact information listed above. You may also contact the OPR via email at email@example.com or via phone at (916) 445-0613. For more information, please visit OPR’s Accessibility Site.