EMERGENCY PERMIT FOR TREATMENT OF HAZARDOUS WASTES, SUTTER HEALTH ALTA BATES SUMMIT MEDICAL CENTER, BERKELEY, CALIFORNIA
- SCH Number
- Lead Agency
- Toxic Substances Control, Department of (Department of Toxic Substances Control)
- Document Title
- EMERGENCY PERMIT FOR TREATMENT OF HAZARDOUS WASTES, SUTTER HEALTH ALTA BATES SUMMIT MEDICAL CENTER, BERKELEY, CALIFORNIA
- Document Type
- NOE - Notice of Exemption
- Project Applicant
- Charles Lucero, Hazardous Materials & Waste Coordinator, Sutter Health
- Document Description
- The California Department of Toxic Substances Control (DTSC), pursuant to authority granted under California Code of Regulations, Title 22, Division 4.5, Chapter 20, Section 66270.61, has issued an Emergency Permit to Sutter Health Alta Bates Summit Medical Center (EPA ID# CAD983605932) to treat hazardous waste through a controlled reaction with a chemical solution. Specifically, 1 one-liter container of tetrahydrofuran, a peroxide forming material, must be stabilized prior to transport to a permitted treatment, storage, and disposal facility. The hazardous waste item is expired and is currently being stored on the Sutter located at 2450 Ashby Ave., Berkeley, CA 94705. DTSC has determined as a safety precaution to prevent an accident or severe injury, an Emergency Permit should be issued to chemically stabilize the hazardous waste prior to transportation off-site by Clean Harbors Environmental Service (CHES).
- Contact Information
Department of Toxic Substances Control Permitting Division
8800 Cal Center Drive
Sacramento, CA 95826
Phone : (916) 255-6522
- Cross Streets
- 2450 Ashby Ave.
Notice of Exemption
- Exempt Status
- Emergency Project
- Type, Section or Code
- Sec. 21080(b)(4); 15269(b)(c)
- Reasons for Exemption
- This action is necessary to prevent an emergency. Chemical stabilization of the tetrahydrofuran is necessary prior to transportation to a permitted treatment, storage, and disposal facility to prevent accidental fire and/or explosion during transport.
- Notice of Exemption
- 2019110263_Emergency Permit PDF 585 K
Disclaimer: The Governor’s Office of Planning and Research (OPR) accepts no responsibility for the content or accessibility of these documents. To obtain an attachment in a different format, please contact the lead agency at the contact information listed above. You may also contact the OPR via email at email@example.com or via phone at (916) 445-0613. For more information, please visit OPR’s Accessibility Site.