Historic Town Center Master Plan Repeal, General Plan Amendment, and Ordinance Change Project
NOP - Notice of Preparation
Present Land Use
General Commercial, Tourist Commercial District, Community Park District, Specific Plan/Precise Plan, and Public & Institutional
The implementation of the HTCMP introduced land use inconsistencies between that
document and the City of San Juan Capistrano General Plan.
The Proposed Project will reconcile the identified discrepancies between the HTCMP, the Form Based Code (FBC), and the General Plan. The elements included in these proposed clarifications include:
• Maintaining the General Plan's prohibition of residential uses in the HTCMP area and amending the FBC to remove the residential standards.
• For the HTCMP Project Area, increasing the Floor Area Ratio (FAR) to 0.75, with a cap of 1.5 FAR for buildings that include provisions for public gathering space.
• Amend the FBC to remove all residential standards.
• Clarify the FBC to limit the height of two-story buildings to 35 feet and the height of hotel buildings to 45 feet.
• Use the Park Once Program in the Project Area, replacing the existing parking standards in the existing FBC parking table with the Park Once standards.
• Clarify the setback requirements for new buildings adjacent to all historic buildings in the Project Area. Specifically, that new construction on properties adjacent to historic buildings would require any portion of the new building to have a setback of one foot for every foot in new building height.
• Repeal the HTCMP due to inconsistencies with the General Plan.
• Clarify land uses and parking requirements identified within the FBC Table 2B.
• Establish standards to address existing nonconforming buildings or conditions.
• Eliminate the Town Center Edge and Freeway Edge Overlays.
- Maintain the existing roadway network and not construct the roadway connections proposed in the HTCI\1P including the proposed extensions of Forster Street, Yorba Street, and Avenida Los Amigos.
Ortega Highway to the north and El Camino Real to the east
JSerra HS SJC El. MBS
Notice of Completion
Review Period Start
Review Period End
Other (Land Use Changes/Clarifications)
General Plan Amendment, Ordinance
Aesthetics, Agriculture and Forestry Resources, Air Quality, Biological Resources, Cultural Resources, Cumulative Effects, Flood Plain/Flooding, Geology/Soils, Growth Inducement, Hazards & Hazardous Materials, Hydrology/Water Quality, Land Use/Planning, Mineral Resources, Noise, Population/Housing, Public Services, Recreation, Schools/Universities, Septic System, Sewer Capacity, Solid Waste, Transportation, Tribal Cultural Resources, Vegetation, Wetland/Riparian, Wildfire, Energy
Air Resources Board, Transportation Projects, California Department of Conservation (DOC), California Department of Fish and Wildlife, South Coast Region 5 (CDFW), California Department of Parks and Recreation, California Highway Patrol, California Regional Water Quality Control Board, Santa Ana Region 8 (RWQCB), Department of Toxic Substances Control, Department of Water Resources, Office of Emergency Services, California, Office of Historic Preservation, Resources Agency, State Water Resources Control Board, Division of Drinking Water, California Department of Transportation, District 12 (DOT), California Native American Heritage Commission (NAHC)
Reviewing Agency Comments
California Department of Transportation, District 12 (DOT), California Native American Heritage Commission (NAHC)
Disclaimer: The Governor’s Office of Planning and Research (OPR) accepts no responsibility for the content or accessibility of these documents.
To obtain an attachment in a different format, please contact the lead agency at the contact information listed above.
You may also contact the OPR via email at email@example.com or via phone at (916) 445-0613.
For more information, please visit OPR’s Accessibility Site.