Weed FFS Fuels Treatment Projects
- SCH Number
- Public Agency
- California Department of Forestry and Fire Protection (CAL FIRE)
- Document Title
- Weed FFS Fuels Treatment Projects
- Document Type
- NOE - Notice of Exemption
- Document Description
- The project area is 13 acres of uneven-aged mixed conifer species which include Ponderosa pine, white fir and incense-cedar. The understory is composed of isolated occurrences of brush and grasses in addition to pine duff surface fuels. Boles Creek flows through the southern portion of the property. Average elevation is approximately 3300 feet and the topography is nearly flat except for a bench above Boles Creek. The property is owned by the State of California and is operated as year-round, 24/7 CAL FIRE station. The project is designed to reduce fuels and treat vegetation to the lower risk and severity of wildfire. The project will involve removal of vegetation and broadcast burning. Hand crews will be utilized to remove herbaceous plants, thin understory trees 8" DBH or less, remove snags if they pose a life safety threat, prune the limbs of leave trees to a height of 6 to 8 feet above the ground and treat existing ground and treat existing ground fuels between 2 and 5 inches in diameter. Flammable, organic material generated by treatment activities will be placed into manageable piles no larger than 6 feet in height and 8 feet in diameter and burned during safe climatic conditions. Burn piles will be placed as far as possible from remaining trees. Broadcast burning of surface fuels throughout the project area may be conducted during safe climatic conditions to lower increased fuel loads. No mature, scenic, healthy trees will be removed during treatment activities.
- Contact Information
Forestry and Fire Protection, Board of
1809 Fairlane Rd.
Yreka, CA 96097
Phone : (530) 842-3516
- Other Location Info
- Project Location: 300 Hwy 97 Weed, CA 66094
- Other Information
- *Section: 2, SW 1/4 Approximately 1 mile N of Weed, CA Note: See NOE for full details.
Notice of Exemption
- Exempt Status
- Categorical Exemption
- Type, Section or Code
- Class 4, Sec. 15304
- Reasons for Exemption
- This project fits within the above-listed Categorical Exemption listed in the CEQA Guidelines. Field review by CAL FIRE staff confirmed that no exceptions apply which would preclude the use of a Notice of Exemption for this project. CAL FIRE has concluded that no significant environmental impact would occur to aesthetics, agriculture and forestland/timberland, air quality, biological resources, geology and soils, greenhouse gas emissions, hazards and hazardous materials, hydrology and water quality, land use planning, mineral resources, noise, population and housing, public services, recreation, transportation/traffic, or to utilities and service systems.
Disclaimer: The document was originally posted before CEQAnet had the capability to host attachments for the public. To obtain the original attachments for this document, please contact the lead agency at the contact information listed above. You may also contact the OPR via email at firstname.lastname@example.org or via phone at (916) 445-0613.