Seismic Monitoring Station Upgrade
- SCH Number
- Lead Agency
- Emergency Services, Office of (California Governor's Office of Emergency Services)
- Document Title
- Seismic Monitoring Station Upgrade
- Document Type
- NOE - Notice of Exemption
- Document Description
- The state-of-the-art earthquake recording and telemetry equipment proposed to be installed at this station will contribute continuous seismic data to the CA Earthquake Early Warning System (CEEWS) and Shake Alert, designed to potentially save thousands of lives during a large earthquake, prevent critical infrastructure damage, and expedite following a large earthquake. With permission from the property owner secured, USGS plans to upgrade and operate the seismic monitoring station at the Lat/Long location noted above. Two aluminum enclosures (2' x 3' x 21'H) will be mounted to 6" thick concrete pads: one concrete pad at grade (maximum 6' depth) and the second concrete pad at a depth of typically 16' below grade. An~8' tall steel pipe will be mounted to one enclosure and concrete pad and hold the 2'x4' solar array and telemetry antenna. The two enclosures will be connected by flexible conduit in a shallow trench (6" deep, 6" wide) about and 25ft long; this trench will be filed to grade after installation. A ground rod will be driven to a depth of 8' proximate to the battery/radio enclosure; additionally, a 2-gauge wire will be buried in a 12" deep, 6" wide trench around the exterior of the enclosure. All excavation will be dug by hand or mini-excavator, depending on site accessibility. There are no hazardous substances involved during construction nor as components of the site. If necessary, a small generator will be used to power a hand-loaded concrete mixer and any other tools needed for the construction. Construction/installation takes 3 days and covers a total of 175 sq. ft (5'x35').
- Contact Information
Office of Emergency Services, California
3650 Schriever Avenue
Mather, CA 95655-4203
Phone : (916) 845-8132
- 40.418584°'"N 120.805946°'"W
- Other Information
- Location Specific: Dot Map ID: NS090, Station Name/Site Code: Goat Mountain/NC LGO Note: See NOE for full details.
Notice of Exemption
- Exempt Status
- Categorical Exemption
- Type, Section or Code
- Class 3, Sec. 15303, Class 4*
- Reasons for Exemption
- *Section 15304 (Minor Alterations to Land) and Class 6 Section 15306 (Information Collection). This project is exempt in accordance with Class 3 as described above; construction of new small weatherproof enclosures to operate seismic sensor equipment for the purpose of data collection (Class 6). In accordance with Class 4, the project described above consists of minor public or private alterations in the conditions of land and/or vegetation which do not involve removal of healthy, mature, scenic trees. None of the exceptions to a notice of exemption apply.
Disclaimer: The document was originally posted before CEQAnet had the capability to host attachments for the public. To obtain the original attachments for this document, please contact the lead agency at the contact information listed above. You may also contact the OPR via email at firstname.lastname@example.org or via phone at (916) 445-0613.