U.S. Bureau of Reclamation (Reclamation) - Moabi Backwater Maintenance Inlet Culvert Replacement Project (WDID: 7B363038001)
- SCH Number
- Lead Agency
- Regional Water Quality Control Board, Region 7 (Colorado River Basin), Palm Desert
- Document Title
- U.S. Bureau of Reclamation (Reclamation) - Moabi Backwater Maintenance Inlet Culvert Replacement Project (WDID: 7B363038001)
- Document Type
- NOE - Notice of Exemption
- Document Description
- Replacement of culverts would entail removing a portion of the existing culvert crossing (paved) road. Old rock and fill material will be removed (approx. 1,935 cubic yards), this will allow for the old culvert pipes to be removed. Material removed from the existing culvert crossing will be temporarily placed adjacent to the worksite (upland site) along the levee road. This same material will be used as backfill to reconstruct the culvert road crossing once the new HDPE pipes are placed. New culverts would be set deeper, and repositioned at a downstream angle to reduce sediment accumulation around the structure and in the backwater. The goal would be to have water circulation within the backwater during all river flow regimes. Gates (which are optional) could also be placed on the river side of the culverts in order to protect the backwater in the event of a hazmat spill on the main stem of the Colorado River. To facilitate culver placement activities, a small portion of the old rock and fill structure will be left in place on the riverside. This small section of the structure that will be left in place will act as a retaining wall. This retaining wall will allow the initial placement of the culvert pipes by preventing flows from entering the work area. Culvert pipes are normally placed in sections. Once the first culvert pipe section is placed on the backwater side, the retaining wall will then be removed and the second pipe section would be placed on the river side.
- Contact Information
Regional Water Quality Control Board, Region 7 (Colorado River B
73-720 Fred Waring Drive, Suite 100
Palm Desert, CA 92260
Phone : (760) 776-8963
- 34°44'8.55"N 114°30'57.57"W
- San Bernardino
Notice of Exemption
- Exempt Status
- Categorical Exemption
- Type, Section or Code
- Reasons for Exemption
- The Colorado River Basin Water Board determined that the proposed project is categorically exempt from CEQA per CEQA Guidelines Section 15304(g), the basis for the CEQA exemption for the dredging operation is "minor alteration to land".
Disclaimer: The document was originally posted before CEQAnet had the capability to host attachments for the public. To obtain the original attachments for this document, please contact the lead agency at the contact information listed above. You may also contact the OPR via email at firstname.lastname@example.org or via phone at (916) 445-0613.