Scripps Institution of Oceanography (SIO) Naval Base Coronado Research
- SCH Number
- Public Agency
- University of California San Diego
- Document Title
- Scripps Institution of Oceanography (SIO) Naval Base Coronado Research
- Document Type
- NOE - Notice of Exemption
- Document Description
- The project proposes to conduct a study to obtain measurements of waves, tides, water table, wave run-up, wave set-up and the eroding sand berm at the Naval Amphibious Base in Coronado by Scripps Institution of Oceanography (SIO). This data is critical to field testing numerical models for berm erosion during storms and El Nino's, when shoreline infrastructure is vulnerable. Monitoring field performance of these widely used areas is vital to assessing shoreline protection strategies. Scope of work would include a Water Table & Inundation study, by monitoring groundwater conductivity, Temperature and Depth (CTD) using sensors located below the heel of the berm. Self-contained pressure sensors would also be buried along the berm. Scope of work would also include measuring Waves and Currents, by installing self-contained pressure sensors and a current meter. Divers would verify that all instruments would not be within 25 feet of sensitive habitats. The self-contained equipment would be installed using a drilling rig or sea water jets. The monitoring equipment would be in place from November to April for a period of five (5) years on Navy property or buried in the sand in the surf zone and offshore. Public access to the beach would be maintained at all times. Local lifeguards and Navy staff would have the authority to limit or halt the work if conditions warrant such action.
- Contact Information
University of California San Diego
9500 Gilman Drive Mail Code 0074
La Jolla, CA 92093-0074
Phone : (858) 534-4464
- San Diego
- Other Information
- Naval Amphibious Base in Coronado, CA.
Notice of Exemption
- Exempt Status
- Categorical Exemption
- Type, Section or Code
- S: 15306
- Reasons for Exemption
- Based on the above project description, the SIO Naval Base Coronado Research project is classified as exempt from the provisions of CEQA under Section 15306: Information Collection. The proposed project consists of data collection for research purpose. In addition, none of the exceptions to the exemptions apply.
Disclaimer: The document was originally posted before CEQAnet had the capability to host attachments for the public. To obtain the original attachments for this document, please contact the lead agency at the contact information listed above. You may also contact the OPR via email at firstname.lastname@example.org or via phone at (916) 445-0613.