Parks and Recreation, Department of
(California Department of Parks and Recreation)
Fuels Reduction Project
NOE - Notice of Exemption
Conduct fuel reduction in three (3) areas of Columbia State Historic Park to reduce flammable fuel loads and improve overall safety for park residents, staff, and visitors. In the Springfield, Eighty-Acres, and Historic Area of the park work will:
- Remove subordinate tree species under the dripline of mature trees;
- Isolate shrubs into small, patchy groups to interrupt horizontal continuity of fuels;
- Remove mistletoe from healthy trees;
- Remove all stressed and dead trees that contain mistletoe;
- Create vertical and horizontal variability among the tree species;
- Chemically or manually remove exotic plant species; and
- Chip, haul off-site, and/or burn all cut vegetation.
Project consists of minor public or private alterations in the condition of land, water, and/or vegetation which do not involve removal of healthy, mature, scenic trees except for forestry or agricultural purposes included as "Resource management projects" in the Department of Parks and Recreation's list of exempt activities in accordance with CCR 15300.4.