SCRRA Replacement of the San Juan Creek Bridge on the Orange County Line
- SCH Number
- Public Agency
- Southern California Regional Rail Authority
- Document Title
- SCRRA Replacement of the San Juan Creek Bridge on the Orange County Line
- Document Type
- NOE - Notice of Exemption
- Document Description
- The purpose of the proposed bridge replacement project is to replace the existing single track bridge over San Juan Creek with a new single track bridge to increase safety and reduce maintenance needs by increasing the load rating and the foundation depths. The new bridge will be constructed next to the existing bridge in order to maintain service on the existing bridge until the new bridge is in place; as a result a new single track bridge over the Vereda bike path is also required. In In addition to the new San Juan Creek Bridge and bike path bridge, the following will require modifications; the siding track, a set-out track, communications and signal systems, and other support infrastructure located within the project right-of-way as required. The existing bridge will be removed and the substructure for a future second bridge across the San Juan Creek channel will be constructed.
- Contact Information
Southern California Regional Rail Authority
One Gateway Plaza, 12th Floor
Los Angeles, CA 90012
Phone : (909) 451-2343
- San Juan Capistrano
- State Highways
- Metrolink/Southern California
- Other Location Info
- The existing San Juan Creek Bridge is located in the City of San Juan Capistrano near the Camino Capistrano exit of the Interstate 5 (I-5) freeway at Mile Post (MP) 197.9 on the Orange Subdivision. The bridge is within the Orange County Transportation Authority (OCTA) right-of-way and is operated and maintained by Metrolink/Southern California Regional Rail Authority. The Orange Subdivision corridor is utilized by Metrolink, Amtrak, and BNSF trains.
- Other Information
- Regional Rail Authority, Amtrak, BNSF trains
Notice of Exemption
- Exempt Status
- Statutory Exemption
- Type, Section or Code
- S: 21080(b)(10); 15275(a))
- Reasons for Exemption
- The State CEQA Guidelines provide a series of Statutory Exemptions for actions that have been deemed by the State Legislature to be exempt from the California Environment Quality Act (CEQA). The proposed replacement of the San Juan Creek railroad bridge has been determined to qualify for a Statutory Exemption under Paragraph 21080(b)(10) CEQA the statute and the State CEQA Guidelines, Section 15275(a). Replacement of the existing San Juan Creek rail bridge will enhance safety of future rail operations. The proposed installation of the new bridge, second bridge foundation, and supporting infrastructure and continued operation of passenger trains as part of the Metrolink System along the Orange County Subdivision have been determined to not fall under the jurisdiction of CEQA and the State CEQA Guidelines because these improvements will support mass transit passenger train operations conducted by Metrolink. Therefore, this action qualifies with the requirements for a Statutory Exemption, under Paragraph 21080(b)(10) of the CEQZA statute.
Disclaimer: The document was originally posted before CEQAnet had the capability to host attachments for the public. To obtain the original attachments for this document, please contact the lead agency at the contact information listed above. You may also contact the OPR via email at email@example.com or via phone at (916) 445-0613.