Astro Camp / Upper Dry Creek - Hazardous Fuel Treatment
- SCH Number
- Lead Agency
- Forestry and Fire Protection, Department of (California Department of Forestry and Fire Protection)
- Document Title
- Astro Camp / Upper Dry Creek - Hazardous Fuel Treatment
- Document Type
- NOE - Notice of Exemption
- Document Description
- The project goal is to mitigate the impact that a wildland fire would have around the community of Idyllwild, CA and help protect an identified evacuation route on Highway 243. The project primary intent is to maintain the effectiveness of the previously delivered hazardous fuel treatment project. The Secondary intent is to reduce existing heavy fuel loads to a safer level on the proposed project area not treated during the previous entry, adjacent to the existing fuel treatment. The fuels, terrain, and notorious winds make this area prone to large, devastating fires. The treatment area is covered by previously managed conifers and disturbed woodland species mixed with pockets of chaparral, coastal scrubs and grasses in various percentages. Crews will cut and remove or cut and chip, or cut and pile vegetation to be burned later. The only trees to be removed during this project are smaller than 12" dbh and those that are dead, dying, or diseased. This type of maintenance work will improve fire suppression effectiveness; reduce the intensity and duration of wildfires; reduce the rate of fire spread and allow for safer evacuation of the public in case of a fire while reducing the amount of work and disturbance necessary to maintain the fuel break in the future. No treatment of grass or any herbaceous perennials is planned. No new roads are to be constructed.
Notice of Exemption
- Exempt Status
- Categorical Exemption
- Type, Section or Code
- S:15304 C:4
- Reasons for Exemption
- This project fits under portions of Class 4 "Section 15304 Minor Alterations to land".
Disclaimer: The document was originally posted before CEQAnet had the capability to host attachments for the public. To obtain the original attachments for this document, please contact the lead agency at the contact information listed above. You may also contact the OPR via email at email@example.com or via phone at (916) 445-0613.