Boggs Mountain DSF Reforestation Project
- SCH Number
- Lead Agency
- Forestry and Fire Protection, Department of (California Department of Forestry and Fire Protection)
- Document Title
- Boggs Mountain DSF Reforestation Project
- Document Type
- NOE - Notice of Exemption
- Document Description
- BMDSF and the surrounding community was severely impacted by the 76,000 acre Valley that began on Sep 12, 2015. An estimated 85 to 90% of the timber resources on the forest were either killed or substantially damaged by the intensity of the fire and very little to no understory vegetation survived the fire. As a result of this fire, timber salvage operations and forest rehabilitation efforts are underway. A key objective of the rehabilitation effort is to re-establish a healthy mixed conifer/hardwood forest. Approximately 600,000 mixed conifer seedlings will be required to fully reforest BMDSF.
- Other Location Info
- Boggs Mountain Demonstration State Forest
Notice of Exemption
- Exempt Status
- Categorical Exemption
- Type, Section or Code
- Type 7, 8
- Reasons for Exemption
- This project fits under 15307 - actions by regulatory agencies for protection of natural resources, and 15308 - actions by regulatory agencies for protection of the environment. In the absence of forest rehabilitation, including replanting and vegetation control, the proliferation, abundance and accumulation of understory vegetation is well recognized and documented to be a major contributing factor to the potential for catastrophic wildfire by increasing the fuel loading and acting as ladder fuels.
Disclaimer: The document was originally posted before CEQAnet had the capability to host attachments for the public. To obtain the original attachments for this document, please contact the lead agency at the contact information listed above. You may also contact the OPR via email at firstname.lastname@example.org or via phone at (916) 445-0613.