Temporary Emergency Permit for Treatment of Hazardous Waste, JSR Micro Material Innovation (JSR)
- SCH Number
- Lead Agency
- Toxic Substances Control, Department of (Department of Toxic Substances Control)
- Document Title
- Temporary Emergency Permit for Treatment of Hazardous Waste, JSR Micro Material Innovation (JSR)
- Document Type
- NOE - Notice of Exemption
- Document Description
- DTSC, pursuant to authority granted under Ch. 6.5, Cal. Code Regs., Tit. 22, section 66270.61 has issued an Emergency Permit to JSR to treat highly reactive and/or ignitable hazardous waste by chemical stabilization. It has been determined that these items are or may be highly reactive and/or ignitable and must be stabilized prior to being transported offsite. The items are currently being stored inside a laboratory at JSR, located in Sunnyvale, CA. Because JSR does not have a permit for the treatment of the hazardous waste, DTSC has determined, as a safety precaution to prevent an accident or severe injury, that an Emergency Permit should be issued to chemically stabilize the hazardous waste prior to transportation off site by CHES. The treatment of the hazardous waste involves the addition of a solvent or water to containers in order to reduce the reactive or ignitable characteristics of the chemicals. Treatment will take place within a designated exclusion zone. Only reactive material technicians from CHES will be allowed in the exclusion zone. Movement, preparation, and treatment of the items will be in accordance with established standards. A follow up report will be submitted to DTSC by JSR. The report shall include certification that the treatment area has been cleared of all residual hazardous waste generated from this emergency treatment, and that all generated waste has been properly disposed.
- Contact Information
Department of Toxic Substances Control
8800 Cal Center Drive
Sacramento, CA 95826-3000
Phone : (916) 255-3644
- Other Location Info
- 1280 N. Mathilda, Sunnyvale, CA 94089
Notice of Exemption
- Exempt Status
- Emergency Project
- Type, Section or Code
- Reasons for Exemption
- Actions necessary to prevent or mitigate an emergency.
Disclaimer: The document was originally posted before CEQAnet had the capability to host attachments for the public. To obtain the original attachments for this document, please contact the lead agency at the contact information listed above. You may also contact the OPR via email at firstname.lastname@example.org or via phone at (916) 445-0613.