Removal Action Workplan (RAW) for Volatile Organic Compounds (VOCs) in Wet Process Area (WPA), Former Honeywell Bandini Facility
- SCH Number
- Lead Agency
- Toxic Substances Control, Department of (Department of Toxic Substances Control)
- Document Title
- Removal Action Workplan (RAW) for Volatile Organic Compounds (VOCs) in Wet Process Area (WPA), Former Honeywell Bandini Facility
- Document Type
- NOE - Notice of Exemption
- Document Description
- The California Department of Toxic Substances Control (DTSC), pursuant to authority granted under Chapter 6.8, Section 25123.6 of the Health and Safety Code is considering approval of an Removal Action Workplan for VOCs, as submitted on December 21, 2011 by Honeywell Bandini. Project activities will commence March 2012 (approximately 18 months) and upon DTSC's approval of the RAW, is expected to be completed by September 2013. The purpose of the RAW is to address VOC's in a 150 foot by 100 foot parcel of soil at the Honeywell Bandini facility site, by implementing a soil vapor extraction (SVE) system. The SVE system was selected as a presumptive measure based on the following investigations: (a) a Revised Additional Soil and Groundwater Investigation Report (Report), dated October 2006, (b) a Soil Vapor Extraction Pilot Test Workplan (Revision 2), dated July 28, 2008 by CH2MHill, and (c) a Soil Vapor and Groundwater Investigation Assessment Report, dated January 27, 2011. The Constituents of Concern (COCs) in soil gas were identified as tetrachloroethene (PCE), trichloroethene (TCE), Cis-and trans-1, 2-dichloroethene (DCE), vinylchloride (VC), and benzene. The SVE system is expected to reduce VOC source material in the vadose zone soil and soil gas; reduce VOC mass from vadose zone soil gas that pose a potential threat to the underlying groundwater. The total detected VOC's are as high as 28,000 micrograms per liter, above the California Human Health Screening Levels (CHSSLs) acceptable industrial levels. During the soil vapor removal action, groundwater will be monitored to assess the effects of the removal action on groundwater quality at the site. A Land Use Covenants (LUC) will be implemented and recorded with the County Recorder office to prohibit residential use or construction below utility infrastructure.
- Contact Information
Department of Toxic Substances Control
Brownfields and Environmental Remediation 9211 Oakdale Avenue
Chatsworth, CA 91311
Phone : (818) 717-6597
Notice of Exemption
- Exempt Status
- Categorical Exemption
- Type, Section or Code
- Reasons for Exemption
- Minor Actions to Prevent, Minimize, stablize, Mitigate or Eliminate the Release or Threat of Release of Hazardous Waste or Hazardous Substances.
Disclaimer: The document was originally posted before CEQAnet had the capability to host attachments for the public. To obtain the original attachments for this document, please contact the lead agency at the contact information listed above. You may also contact the OPR via email at email@example.com or via phone at (916) 445-0613.