Temporary Emergency Permit for Treatment by Burning, San Diego County Sheriff's Department
- SCH Number
- Lead Agency
- Toxic Substances Control, Department of (Department of Toxic Substances Control)
- Document Title
- Temporary Emergency Permit for Treatment by Burning, San Diego County Sheriff's Department
- Document Type
- NOE - Notice of Exemption
- Document Description
- Department of Toxic Substances Control (DTSC) has issued an emergency permit to the San Diego County Sheriff's Departments to treat hazardous waste by burning. The hazardous waste to be treated consists of fireworks, frequently manufactured in other countries, and seized by U.S. Customs or local fire or law enforcement agencies. The confiscated items are illegal for sale in California. Currently the Sheriff's Department is holding less than 100 pounds of illegal fireworks for treatment, however, confiscation and treatment of fireworks will continue during the effective period of the permit. The emergency permit is effective from June 29, 2011 through September 26, 2011. Treatment will be scheduled depending on weather, logistics, and availability of personnel. The treatment activities will be conducted by qualified personnel from the Sheriff's Department, federal agencies, San Diego Fire Department Bomb Squad, and/or other local emergency response agencies. As the Sheriff's Department does not have a permit for treatment of hazardous waste, DTSC has determined that an emergency permit should be issued. The fireworks are potential safety hazard and present an unacceptable risk to people and the environment for continued storage. There is no alternative treatment available. The emergency permit is a temporary measure to allow the Sheriff's Department to proceed with its responsibility to remove a danger to the public.
- Contact Information
Department of Toxic Substances Control
Hazardous Waste Permitting 8800 Cal Center Drive
Sacramento, CA 95826-3000
Phone : (916) 255-3746
- San Diego
- Other Location Info
- San Diego County Sheriff's Department Bomb Disposal Range
Notice of Exemption
- Exempt Status
- Type, Section or Code
- Reasons for Exemption
- Emergency Project This action is necessary to prevent an emergency. DTSC found that a potential for an imminent and substantial endangerment to human health and the environment exists from storage of illegal fireworks for an indefinite time period. This temporary emergency permit is necessary to prevent such an emergency.
Disclaimer: The document was originally posted before CEQAnet had the capability to host attachments for the public. To obtain the original attachments for this document, please contact the lead agency at the contact information listed above. You may also contact the OPR via email at firstname.lastname@example.org or via phone at (916) 445-0613.