Ascon Landfill Site - Emergency Action as Part of an Interim Removal Measure - Application of LKM and Construction of a Sump to Prevent Ponding in Lagoon 3
- SCH Number
- Public Agency
- Department of Toxic Substances Control
- Document Title
- Ascon Landfill Site - Emergency Action as Part of an Interim Removal Measure - Application of LKM and Construction of a Sump to Prevent Ponding in Lagoon 3
- Document Type
- NOE - Notice of Exemption
- Document Description
- Placing and mixing lime kiln material (LKM) in Lagoon 3 at the Ascon Landfill Site and Construction of a Sump to Prevent Ponding.
- Contact Information
Department of Toxic Substances Control
Brownsfield and Environmental Restoration Program 5796 Corporate Avenue
Cypress, CA 90630
Phone : (714) 484-5478
- Huntington Beach
Notice of Exemption
- Exempt Status
- Emergency Project
- Type, Section or Code
- 21080(b)(4), 15269(b)(c)
- Reasons for Exemption
- The Interim Removal Measure is to remove tarry waste materials from Lagoons 1 and 2 at the site. After removing much of the waste from Lagoon 2, it has become apparent that the pressure of ponded rainwater in Lagoon 3 has caused the berm between Lagoon 2 and 3 to become saturated and therefore unstable. If the berm fails, unknown amounts of hazardous material from Lagoon 3 could flow into Lagoon 2. Therefore, unless action is taken promptly, before the next significant rain event, this berm could fail catastrophically and threaten the physical integrity of the approved removal action in Lagoon 2, potentially endangering workers at the site and ultimately compromising the existing remediation effort. Placing and mixing LKM into Lagoon 3 would reduce the moisture from the southern portion of Lagoon 3. Following placement of the LKM, the reduction of seepage forces could be achieved by construction of a temporary sump within Lagoon 3. The placement and mixing of LKM with Lagoon 3 materials should allow for the construction of a storm water sump within Lagoon 3. As a result, the ponded water could be removed and not allowed to remain in the southern portion of Lagoon 3 where it is causing instability of the berm. Additionally, this emergency action would minimize the seepage forces in the berm. Therefore, it is urgent that LKM be placed into Lagoon 3 prior to the next significant rain event.
Disclaimer: The document was originally posted before CEQAnet had the capability to host attachments for the public. To obtain the original attachments for this document, please contact the lead agency at the contact information listed above. You may also contact the OPR via email at email@example.com or via phone at (916) 445-0613.