Air Cooling Systems-Arnold Housing Unit
- SCH Number
- Lead Agency
- Corrections and Rehabilitation, Department of (California Department of Corrections and Rehabilitation)
- Document Title
- Air Cooling Systems-Arnold Housing Unit
- Document Type
- NOE - Notice of Exemption
- Document Description
- CDCR will design and install air cooling systems in the Arnold housing units at the California Correctional Center (CCC) in accordance with CDCR's Design Criteria Guidelines (DCG), which require indoor temperatures in the housing units to be maintained at or below 90 degrees Fahrenheit. The existing Mammoth brand units on the Arnold housing unit rooftops were designed and equipped to heat the buildings, but do not provide any type of air cooling system. Summertime temperatures inside the inmate housing units often rise above 90 degrees, and have been as high as 104 degrees. In addition to meeting DCG requirements, CDCR was mandated by the Coleman court order to establish and adhere to a Prevention Plan for Heat Related Pathologies due to the potential risk of inmate death when "heat-risk inmates" are exposed to extreme high temperatures, as experienced at CCC. This plan requires the Department to initiate Stage II and III Heat Alerts when the inside temperatures of a building housing "heat-risk" inmates reaches 90 and 95 degrees. This project includes the installation of small (residential) condensing units ground mounted on concrete pad. They will be installed on the property next to each building. Electrical capacity for the condensing units is available at each housing unit building equipment room.
- Contact Information
California Department of Corrections and Rehabilitation
9838 Old Placerville Road, Suite B
Sacramento, CA 95827
Phone : (916) 255-3010
Notice of Exemption
- Exempt Status
- Categorical Exemption
- Type, Section or Code
- Reasons for Exemption
- This project involves alteration to existing occupied prison facilities that involves no permanent effect on the environment. The project will be constructed completely within existing facilities. This is one of a class of project the Secretary of Resources has found does not have a significant effect on the environment, and therefore, is declared to be categorically exempt from the requirement for preparing an environmental document.
Disclaimer: The document was originally posted before CEQAnet had the capability to host attachments for the public. To obtain the original attachments for this document, please contact the lead agency at the contact information listed above. You may also contact the OPR via email at email@example.com or via phone at (916) 445-0613.