Temporary Urgency Change Petition - Place of Use


SCH Number
Public Agency
California Department of Water Resources (DWR)
Document Title
Temporary Urgency Change Petition - Place of Use
Document Type
NOE - Notice of Exemption
Document Description
Through the Temporary Urgency Change Petition, the Department of Water Resources (DWR) and U.S. Bureau of Reclamation are requesting that the State Water Resources Control Board authorize a consolidation of State Water Project and Central Valley Project places of use to allow transfer of water to Central Valley agricultural users that are facing critical shortages in their CVP water deliveries this summer due to the current drought and a recent court order significantly reducing the export of water from the Delta.

Contact Information

Nancy Quan
Agency Name
California Department of Water Resources
Contact Types
Lead/Public Agency



Notice of Exemption

Exempt Status
Categorical Exemption
Type, Section or Code
Reasons for Exemption
One June 12, 2008, after assessing the full impact that the severe water shortages have had on San Joaquin Valley agriculture, Governor Schwarzenegger proclaimed a state of emergency in nine Central Valley counties. The emergency proclamation states that the emergency exemptions in sections 21080(b)(3) and 21172 of the Public Resources Code shall apply to all activities and project ordered and directed under this proclamation, to the fullest extent allowed by law. Included in the activities listed in the proclamation is the direction to DWR to file necessary water right urgency change petitions to facilitate surface water transfers by the SWP and Central Valley Project. Thus, according to the emergency proclamation, this petition is exempt from CEQA. Additionally, changing the language of the term in D-1641 pertains to the operation of an existing public facility and would involve negligible or no expansion of an existing use.

Disclaimer: The document was originally posted before CEQAnet had the capability to host attachments for the public. To obtain the original attachments for this document, please contact the lead agency at the contact information listed above. You may also contact the OPR via email at state.clearinghouse@opr.ca.gov or via phone at (916) 445-0613.

Download CSV New Search Print