Completion of Removal Action for Clay Pigeons and Lead Shot in the Northern Drainage Shooting Range Area of the Santa Susana Field Laboratory (SSFL)
- SCH Number
- Lead Agency
- Toxic Substances Control, Department of (Department of Toxic Substances Control)
- Document Title
- Completion of Removal Action for Clay Pigeons and Lead Shot in the Northern Drainage Shooting Range Area of the Santa Susana Field Laboratory (SSFL)
- Document Type
- NOE - Notice of Exemption
- Document Description
- Along the Northern Drainage and within its banks, the clay target debris deposits will be flagged and removed with a vacuum truck and hand tools. The vacuum truck's suction hose is partially supported by a boom, and, with extensions, can reach approximately 250 feet from the truck. The estimated volume of clay target debris and incidental soil likely to be generated in the Northern Drainage is approximately 4,250 cubic yards. At the former Shooting Range, non sensitive vegetation will be removed prior to debris removal. The clay target deposits outside the drainage will be flagged in the field and scraped away in layers using a backhoe or front-end loader. After initial debris removal in each area, visual inspections will be conducted and any remaining debris will be collected using hand tools. At the Sage Ranch trail, lead shot particles exposed on the surface soils will be removed with hand tools and a vacuum truck. The estimated volume of clay target debris and incidental soil likely to be generated in the former Shooting Range is approximately 4,000 cubic yards. All debris will be contained in bins that will be stored on the Boeing property and later disposed off-site. All materials will be removed from the SSFL by companies that are qualified, fully licensed, and insured to transport the materials to a licensed disposal facility. Procedures and protective measures designed to minimize transportation-related impacts and the location of the proposed final disposal facilities are identified in the final Transportation Plan approved by DTSC.
- Contact Information
Department of Toxic Substances Control
8800 Cal Center Drive
Sacramento, CA 95826
Phone : (916) 255-3600
- Other Location Info
- Santa Susana Field Laboratory, Simi Hills
Notice of Exemption
- Exempt Status
- Type, Section or Code
- Reasons for Exemption
- General Rule With Certainty, No Possibility of a Significant Environmental Effect. The project is a small removal action from areas that will avoid both sensitive biological habitat areas and cultural resource areas. The portions of the project that are offsite will be secured during work. The trail will be closed for public protection during the weekday work hours. The trail will be available and safe for public use on the weekends when work is not in progress. A fence separates it from the contamination in the drainage and from work staging areas, providing an adequate buffer for public safety when work is not occurring.
Disclaimer: The document was originally posted before CEQAnet had the capability to host attachments for the public. To obtain the original attachments for this document, please contact the lead agency at the contact information listed above. You may also contact the OPR via email at email@example.com or via phone at (916) 445-0613.