Underground Irrigation Mainline Project at the Scilacci Property
- SCH Number
- Public Agency
- Humboldt County Resource Conservation District
- Document Title
- Underground Irrigation Mainline Project at the Scilacci Property
- Document Type
- NOE - Notice of Exemption
- Document Description
- This proposed project includes the installation of approximately 3,300 feet of 5-inch diameter Class 125 PVC underground irrigation mainline for the purpose of irrigation water conveyance and liquefied manure application. Approximately 525 feet of the mainline will be through a wetland. The proposed underground mainline will provide the ability to convey irrigation water from an existing irrigation well in addition to applying liquefied manure from an existing dairy waste storage facility to the adjacent pastures. The liquefied manure will be utilized for fertilizing approximately 100 acres of certified organic pasture. Risers spaced every 180 feet along the buried mainline will allow for a traveling hard-hose irrigation gun connection. The traveling irrigation gun applies irrigation water or liquefied manure directly to the pasture at varied rates depending upon the seasonal fluctuation of nutrient and water uptake requirements of the pasture grass. The proposed project will integrate into the manure collection, storage, and distribution system at the dairy facility. The implementation of buried mainline for liquefied manure conveyance and application is a commonly used dairy waste management practice by Humboldt County Dairies. This practice is important in nutrient management and protecting adjacent water resources and is a recommended practice by the United States Department of Agriculture-Natural Resource Conservation Service (USDA-NRCS). The irrigation pipeline system has been designed in accordance to the USDA-NRCS Standards and Specifications and is proposed for implementation during the summer of 2007.
- Contact Information
Humboldt County Resource Conservation District
5630 South Broadway
Eureka, CA 95503
Phone : (707) 442-6058 ext. 116
Notice of Exemption
- Exempt Status
- Categorical Exemption
- Type, Section or Code
- Sections 15303 and 15304
- Reasons for Exemption
- (1) The proposed project includes the installation of approximately 3,300 feet of 5-inch diameter Class 125 PVC underground irrigation mainline for the purpose of irrigation water conveyance and liquefied manure application. This is an extension of the Dairy Facility's irrigation water conveyance and liquefied manure application systems, and this work clearly fits within the description of the Class 3 Categorical Exemption. (2) The proposed pipeline will be laid in a trench with a typical depth and width of approximately 36 inches and 9 inches, respectively. The trench will be backfilled with native soil and all disturbed areas will be seeded with a pasture seed mix. This is a relatively minor trenching and backfilling activity where the surface is restored, and this work clearly fits within the description of the Class 4 Categorical Exemption. (3) The proposed project entails no exceptions to categorical exemptions.
Disclaimer: The document was originally posted before CEQAnet had the capability to host attachments for the public. To obtain the original attachments for this document, please contact the lead agency at the contact information listed above. You may also contact the OPR via email at email@example.com or via phone at (916) 445-0613.