Roof Runoff System Project at the Tim Miranda Dairy
- SCH Number
- Public Agency
- Humboldt County Resource Conservation District
- Document Title
- Roof Runoff System Project at the Tim Miranda Dairy
- Document Type
- NOE - Notice of Exemption
- Document Description
- The proposed project includes the installation of approximately 720 feet of gutters with downspouts on two existing barn structures on the subject parcel. In addition, the proposed project will include the installation of one 12-inch, seven 10-inch, two 8-inch, and three 6-inch diameter PVC underground discharge pipes that will convey the collected rainwater from each barn to the adjacent pasture. The total length of the buried discharge pipes will be approximately 2,045-feet and will be laid in a 30-inch deep and approximately 10-inch wide trench. The trench will be backfilled with native soil and all disturbed areas will be seeded with a pasture seed mix. A total of 26,400 square feet of roof will be guttered. Currently, a majority of this rainwater, after becoming contaminated with dairy waste, is directed to an existing waste storage facility. By diverting the rainwater prior to becoming contaminated (by coming in contact with manure), a significant amount of storage in the Dairy's manure storage pond will be obtained, effectively increasing the days that manure can be stored or decreasing the required storage volume. In addition to rainwater, clean water from the dairy's milk cooling system will be diverted as well. By diverting this water, approximately 2 million gallons of clean water will no longer enter the manure storage pond on an average rain fall year. The proposed project will integrate into the manure collection, storage, and distribution system at the dairy facility and is important in protecting adjacent water resources.
- Contact Information
Humboldt County Resource Conservation District
5630 South Broadway
Eureka, CA 95503
Phone : (707) 442-6058 ext. 116
Notice of Exemption
- Exempt Status
- Categorical Exemption
- Type, Section or Code
- Sections 15301 and 15304
- Reasons for Exemption
- (1) The proposed project includes the installation of 2,045 feet of gutters with downspouts to two existing barn structures on the subject parcel. A total of 26,400 square feet of roof will be guttered. The proposed project will integrate into the manure collection, storage, and distribution system at the dairy facility. The installation of gutters on existing private structures is a minor exterior alteration, and this work clearly fits within the Class 1 Categorical Exemption. (2) Approximately 2,045 feet of buried discharge pipe will be laid in a 30-inch deep and approximately 10-inch wide trench. The trench will be backfilled with native soil and all disturbed areas will be seeded with a pasture seed mix. This is a relatively minor trenching and backfilling activity where the surface is restored, and this work clearly fits within the Class 4 Categorical Exemption. (3) The proposed project entails no exceptions to categorical exemptions.
Disclaimer: The document was originally posted before CEQAnet had the capability to host attachments for the public. To obtain the original attachments for this document, please contact the lead agency at the contact information listed above. You may also contact the OPR via email at email@example.com or via phone at (916) 445-0613.