South Rubicon Bay Fuels Reduction
- SCH Number
- Lead Agency
- Forestry and Fire Protection, Department of (California Department of Forestry and Fire Protection)
- Document Title
- South Rubicon Bay Fuels Reduction
- Document Type
- NOE - Notice of Exemption
- Document Description
- Creation of wildlife defense zone at least 200 feet wide, to reduce risk of catastrophic wildfire. Post-treatment forest stands shall be dominated by larger, fire tolerant trees where surface and ladder fuels are reduced so crown ignitions are unlikely. Ground fuels shall be reduced to post-treatment ground fire flame heights two feet or less. Post-treatment tree spacing will eliminate sustaining crown fires in the overstory by reducing ladder fuels. Forest health shall be improved by reducing tree stocking to reduce competition among residual trees and mortality associated with insect and diseases. Stands shall be thinned from below using gas-powered hand equipment (i.e., chainsaws) by removing small trees up to 16 inches DBH. Suppressed and intermediate trees shall be removed to achieve the crown base height and tree spacing above. Trees shall be limbed to 12-feet from base to disrupt vertical fuel continuity. All brush shall be removed from within the drip line of all trees. Brush fields within the project area shall be treated resulting in surface fires having flames lengths no longer than 3 feet. In stream zones, dead and dying material and mature lodgepole pine shall be reduced. Slash and timber will be disposed of by hand piling and burning and chipping. Cut brush shall be chipped.
- Contact Information
Department of Forestry and Fire Protection
2092 Lake Tahoe Boulevard, Suite 600
South Lake Tahoe, CA 96150
Phone : (530) 541-1989
- El Dorado
Notice of Exemption
- Exempt Status
- Categorical Exemption
- Type, Section or Code
- Section 15304
- Reasons for Exemption
- Project is categorically exempt from CEQA as no ground disturbance shall occur to result in significant impact to the environment. All project work will be performed by hand with gas-powered hand tools. No heavy equipment or ground disturbing equipment shall be used except towing of portable chipper into project area using existing roads. Pile burning shall occur. Archaeological survey completed. No significant sites. Slopes do not exceed 15%.
Disclaimer: The document was originally posted before CEQAnet had the capability to host attachments for the public. To obtain the original attachments for this document, please contact the lead agency at the contact information listed above. You may also contact the OPR via email at email@example.com or via phone at (916) 445-0613.