Class I * Permit Modification to Allow Larger Sizes of Railcars to Transfer Used Oil
- SCH Number
- Lead Agency
- Toxic Substances Control, Department of (Department of Toxic Substances Control)
- Document Title
- Class I * Permit Modification to Allow Larger Sizes of Railcars to Transfer Used Oil
- Document Type
- NOE - Notice of Exemption
- Document Description
- The project is to approve a Class 1* permit modification to allow Riverbank to utilize railcars up to, but not exceeding a capacity of 30,000 gallons. Riverbank Oil Transfer, LLC (Riverbank) was issued a Standardized Hazardous Waste Facility Permit, Series C on March 31, 2001. The permit allows Riverbank to transfer/pump used oil from trucks operated by registered transporters to rail cars with a capacity of 24,000 gallons. The used oil then is transported to off-site storage, recycling and/or disposal facilities. Riverbank has requested a permit modification to use railcars up to 30,000 gallons, without changing the operating capacity or throughput of the transfer facility, and still remaining a Series C facility. This modification provides the facility with greater flexibility in choosing available railcars, and provides an improved economy of scale by shipping larger quantities, reducing transportation costs. Riverbank Oil Transfer is located within the Riverbank Army Ammunition Plant industrial facility, which is on the Hazardous Waste and Substances Sites List. The historical contamination which has caused Riverbank Army Ammunition Plant to be included in the Cortese List is unrelated to the Riverbank Oil Transfer facility and its operations.
- Contact Information
Department of Toxic Substances Control
Standardized Permitting and Corrective Action Branch 8800 Cal Center Drive, 2nd Floor
Sacramento, CA 95826-3200
Phone : (916) 255-6677
Notice of Exemption
- Exempt Status
- Type, Section or Code
- General Section 15061(b)(3)
- Reasons for Exemption
- The modification to permit for the use of larger capacity railcars will not have the possibility of a significant effect on the environment because: 1. No change in the operating capacity or throughout of the transfer facility will take place. The only change is an increase in the permitted capacity of railcars utilized for transport to off-site facilities. 2. The facility has an adequate secondary containment of 33,500 gallons to accommodate loading a 30,000 gallon railcar. 3. No changes to procedures or operating equipment will occur. All other provisions of the existing permit remain in effect.
Disclaimer: The document was originally posted before CEQAnet had the capability to host attachments for the public. To obtain the original attachments for this document, please contact the lead agency at the contact information listed above. You may also contact the OPR via email at email@example.com or via phone at (916) 445-0613.